1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are you riding a Bicycle, Are You Riding Safely?

Discussion in 'Health and Safety' started by NewsBot, Sep 15, 2020.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    family-riding-on-bicycle-1073133___05132341150.jpg
    Are you riding a Bicycle, Are You Riding Safely? Patch.com

Bicycle Safety

Milford, CT - With Social distancing guidelines and lack of gathering places, People more and more are spending time on outdoor activities.

I have observed increasing numbers of cyclist's around Milford as well as other Communities.

I notice these things as for years I have been an avid Cyclist, I have run Southern CT cycling club in the 1990's and worked on the 1999 New Haven ave World Haven Special Olympics' Cycling venue ., and participated in running and cycling in several other events. Over the years I have logged a few thousand miles on my Bikes and also have had my share of crashes, road burn and Injury. In a fall from a bicycle most common injuries are from impact, causing scrapes, road burn, breaks and worst case head injury

One crash I hit the road at 21 MPH and shattered my collarbone and broke my Helmet upon impact. Broke the helmet bad but my head was intact with no injury. My helmet manufacturer replaced the helmet as part of their guarantee. At that time I gave presentations on the need for wearing a helmet while cycling and promoted Bicycle safety.

I am now observing many new cyclists on the roads. Many riding unsafely and are accidents waiting to happen. Accidents happen especially if you are a new cyclist, and not a regular rider. I observe new cyclist as well as younger adolescents that are not safely attired, many are badly attired, and are making no effort to be visible, especially at dusk or evenings.

Some simple safety precautions can mean the difference between being hit by a vehicle or sustaining minor vs serious injury.

I am attaching some basic guidelines here are some safety hints to follow.
    • 1. Wear a Helmet (Cheap insurance to protect your head.)
    • 2. Bike Safety gear (Reflectors, Blinking LEDs, Flags, etc.)
    • 3. Attire (Dress For Visibility, BE SEEN.)
    • 4. Keep your bike serviced (Insure "quick release" wheels are properly secured.)
    • Further resources : https://www.ibike.org/education/safety-materials.htm

Continue reading...