1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Idaho Teen hit in crosswalk, insurance for driver refusing to pay medical bills

Discussion in 'Health and Safety' started by NewsBot, Jun 23, 2020.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    Screen%20Shot%202020-06-23%20at%2011.36.55%20AM.jpg
    Idaho Teen hit in crosswalk, insurance for driver refusing to pay medical bills KHQ Right Now

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -- It was a vehicle vs. pedestrian accident that was caught on camera. The family of the boy who was hit hoped the driver's insurance company would cover the medical bills and bicycle repairs associated with the incident, but they learned despite cameras capturing the whole thing, they were in for quite the fight.

Vicky Clark said her 15-year-old son Michael has always been a bright light, even during life's heartbreaks.

"His father passed away six-years-ago," Vicky said. "His grandmother died two years later."

But that grandma made sure Michael always had something to remind him of her.

"She left him that bike," she said.

They were not the typical wheels for a high schooler.

"It was a recumbent bike," Vicky said. "Some say it is kind of dorky. But he loved it. He was very proud to ride that bike."

That's exactly what he was doing in October of 2019. He was heading home for the day as captured in CDA High School surveillance footage the day the incident happened.

"He was in a crosswalk," Vicky told our Help Me Hayley. "The one right here at Hoffman and Fourth."

Instead of telling us what went down, Vicky wanted to show us. She provided video from the school's cameras. You can view it in the video version of this report.

"Michael comes down here and he comes to a stop," Vicky said about the clip. "A black car comes and wants to turn. They stop because they see Michael. Another car comes from the opposite direction that stops because they also see Michael."

With everyone stopped, Michael entered the marked crosswalk. As he did, a third car hits him. Video captured that same car leaving the high school parking lot seconds earlier.

"I just started to cry...when I saw his body hit the ground," Vicky said.

As disturbing as that is for Vicky to watch, it is what happens in the next 30 seconds that continues to bother her every single day.

"She never leaves her vehicle," Vicky said after watching the footage. "(He told me) she leaned out the window. You can't see that happen. Says are you okay as he's being pulled from the street. He said yes and she leaves."

5ef1ed142d164.image.jpg

KHQ reviewed the video, and less than 30 seconds after Michael was hit, the driver did take off. It is important to note, the police report indicates she did get out of the vehicle to check on Michael, but the footage KHQ looked at appears to contradict tell a different story.

Vicky got the call about the accident and rushed to the high school. She said her son was waiting for her in the office, sitting in a wheelchair.

"They told me they would like me to take him to the hospital," she said. "He was acting confused and complaining of a hurt leg."

Medical records, and the big bills tied to them, show it was just a sprain. He had cuts and bumps too, but his beloved bicycle took most of the damage.

The school was able to identify the driver after an employee recognized the vehicle involved. They told Vicky it was a fellow student. She was sure the young driver's insurance company would take care of his doctor bills and repair the damage to the beloved bicycle

"I just wanted them to pay for his medical bills and replace his bike," she said. "That's all I asked for."

But that claim would be denied by All State. In a letter to the family, they said despite being in a marked crosswalk, they found Michael was '65 percent responsible' for the accident. A police report claims a witness had also come forward stating Michael did not pause before entering the crosswalk. The family has been battling this ...

Continue reading...

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    With the medical bill being less than $1200 (see -2:20 in the video), I cannot imagine a better bargain for AllState Insurance Company* than to have paid it and be done with it. Instead, a sage bean-counter has decided it's better to withhold the funds and let this play-out in the global arena of a court of public opinion. :lost-it:

* - "Allstate has been repeatedly criticized by the media and stakeholders for its bad faith insurance practices. According to a report by the American Association for Justice, Allstate is the worst insurance company in America. The report condemns Allstate for continually putting its profits over policyholders, stating that Allstate uses a combination of “lowball offers and hardball litigation” to boost its bottom line. The report also reveals that former Allstate adjusters claimed they were rewarded for keeping the amount of money paid on claims low, even if they had to lie to their customers. Some former Allstate employees said that the company used a “three Ds” strategy to pad its own pocketsdeny, delay, and defend." (Ref: Allstate Bad Faith Insurance Practices)​

3. Lightning Pilot

Lightning Pilot

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Lake Bluff
    Ride:
    Lightning P-38
    Name:
    Ross
    Talk about police incompetence. But no matter where you are, the police always seem to give "the benefit of the doubt" to the car driver. According to the KHQ report, the officer never saw the video, and the school isn't helping, either. With that video, the police can charge the driver. Something is really rotten here, not just Allstate (not that I'm defending them in any way.) They are as guilty as A.D. has stated. All insurance companies are bad news—they never fail to make a profit, one way or the other.

I hope the local community gets behind the mother and her child. Social pressure can do a lot. If she needs money, she should start a "GoFundMe" or similar account.

I hope the kid learns what I taught my kids when they started to ride: "Never forget that you are invisible. Drivers will not see you. If they can see you, they are probably trying to hit you. Ride accordingly." Sure, it puts car and truck drivers in a bad light, but which would you rather be, wary or dead?

A.D. likes this.
  4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :mmm: A truer statement than this, I've not often heard. :thumbsup:

Lightning Pilot likes this.
  5. Lightning Pilot

Lightning Pilot

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Lake Bluff
    Ride:
    Lightning P-38
    Name:
    Ross
    Managed to learn something in almost seventy years … :banghead:

It's things like this that make me wish my Lightning P-38 came with the USAAF P-38 armament … (I ordered it that way. Tim Brummer got a good laugh out of it. :laugh9:)

A.D. likes this.