1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Traffic Inbox: Cyclist Worried About Crossing Volusia County Crosswalk

Discussion in 'Health and Safety' started by NewsBot, Mar 18, 2020.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    Screen%20Shot%202020-03-18%20at%2011.56.02%20AM.jpg

Traffic Inbox: Cyclist Worried About Crossing Volusia County Crosswalk News 13

Port Orange, FL — One cyclist says crossing the street can be treacherous at one busy intersection in Volusia County.

• Kirk Mandus says he has been nearly hit while crossing a Port Orange intersection
    • SUBMIT a question or concern to Traffic Inbox here
    Kirk Mandus says there have been several instances when he has almost been hit while crossing Williamson Boulevard at Taylor Road in Port Orange.

"I'd say every other time I go across here I have a close call. I even almost was hit by a state trooper once," Mandus said.

Mandus rides 20 miles a day on his low-to-the-ground recumbent bicycle.

"I do a Hail Mary a lot of times, but I feel like I'm a crazy person because I'm already on a recumbent half the time, and I'm flailing my arms trying to get everybody's attention," he said.

When Mandus has to cross Williamson Boulevard, he has a hard time getting cars turning right off Taylor Road to stop for him, even when the crosswalk signal is activated.

There is a yield to pedestrians sign on Taylor Road, but he says it is not enough.

The local transportation planning organization is studying that area and has discussed changes to the crosswalk.

"FDOT will review the intersection to determine ...

Continue reading...