1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Close pass from white van driver who gets straight back to his cellphone...

Discussion in 'Health and Safety' started by NewsBot, Mar 11, 2020.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot

Near Miss of the Day 384: Close pass from white van driver who gets straight back to his phone road.cc

Today’s Valentine’s Day near miss sees a perhaps amorous white van driver attempting to gently stroke a cyclist with his rear wing en route to a set of traffic lights. We gather from the footage that the motorist was keen to pull up in the queue so that he could check his phone (assuming he wasn’t already doing so).

The incident occurred on Bishop's Bridge Rd (the A4206) in London to the rear of Paddington Station.

Mark submitted the video to the Metropolitan Police, but while he has received a reference number, he fears he has left it too late.

“This occurred on February 14. I did not know that footage has to be submitted within a short time frame.

“It took me a week to edit down the footage and upload it because I have borrowed a camera and it's my first experience of using one.

“As I cycle through London every day and witness all kinds of incidents, I feel I should invest in a GoPro soon and record my journeys from now on.”

> Near Miss of the Day turns 100 - Why do we do the feature and what have we learnt from it?

Over the years road.cc has reported on literally hundreds of close passes and near misses involving badly driven vehicles from every corner of the country – so many, in fact, that we’ve decided to turn the phenomenon into a regular feature on the site. One day hopefully we will run out of close passes and near misses to report on, but until that happy day arrives, Near Miss of the Day will keep rolling on.

If you’ve caught on camera a close encounter of the uncomfortable kind with another road user that you’d like to share with the wider cycling community ...

Continue reading...