1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not Epic, but a goal for me reached.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Richardrwg, Oct 14, 2019.  |  Print Topic

1. Richardrwg

Richardrwg

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    Stafford
    Ride:
    Sun EZ Speedster SX
    Name:
    Richard
    I started out the year at 350 LBS., I decided it was long overdue for some serious changes, I made a change in my diet and I bought my bent about 2 months ago. I'm 63, wayyy out of shape, and it's the first time I've had a bike since my 20's, so I started out doing local runs to get used to riding and developing what others have appropriately called "Bent legs".

My first "accomplishment was riding into town and home again, a 7 mile ride round trip. After may of these rides on the weekends as well as 3-5 mile rides during the week, I aimed at another town that 7.5 miles away. After a couple of those weekend rides I set a new goal, a town that was about 17 miles away. Doing a mix of back and main roads I accomplished that goal yesterday, a total of 37 miles. There were no records broken, it took me about 8 hours to do it, although the bike computer says that only 3.5 of those hours were actual riding. Many, many breaks along the way, and a long one before I headed back home.

Now I realize that 98% of the members would call that just a good stretch of the legs, and leave at noon and be home in time for dinner. Lord knows I was passed by such riders going up hill, down hill, and on the flats. But for me, it was a hard stretch, and one could not have done with the trike. Between the diet and exercise, I'm down 40 lbs, and hoping to carve off another 20 by the end of the year.

I'm wishing I had started sooner as the riding season here is drawing to a close. It's a long, lonely ride on my own and it does get hard to find the motivation to push the limits, thank God for Spotify and Tympanic headphones.

bjjoondo likes this.
  2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :hooray: Hey Richard, I'm proud of you! The fact you decided to change -and- followed through with a plan is extraordinary. :thumbsup: It's not about the mileage or the speed, it's the fact that you're still at it because you either enjoy biking, maybe the results of it, or heck maybe both. :idunno: Either way, congrats for getting out there and staying out there!

3. Uncle Chunk

Uncle Chunk

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Franklin
    Ride:
    Greenspeed Magnum XL
    Name:
    Uncle Chunk
    Congrats, Richard! Keep on ridin'!

4. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    woohooCongrats! Good for you! Very inspiring.

5. modiorne

modiorne

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    NC
    City:
    Waxhaw
    Ride:
    Trident Stowaway II
    Name:
    Odie
    "Measurable progress in reasonable time". I'd say that meets the standard! Hoping you can extend your riding season (proper clothing, route selections) and find some good exercises that help you maintain or improve your fitness levels when you can't ride. +1 on motivating music or podcasts - just make sure it doesn't impair your being able to hear what's around you on the streets.

How about some more motivation? Commit to updating this thread on a regular basis to share further updates, the wins as well as the challenges.

6. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    :goodjob:The older I get, the smaller my goals are. I used to want to be somewhat reasonably competitive (end a ride in the middle of the pack). Now I don't care. I just want to finish. Doesn't matter the time. I find I enjoy my rides much more now than I used to. I am also riding less (sounds odd), but I am doing other exercises as well. (Walking, treadmill, elliptical) So overall I think more of my body is in better shape than it used to be when all I did was ride. (At least that is what I tell myself... and I am sticking to that story!)

Be proud of yourself. It is easy putting on weight and really tough taking it off. And 40 pounds is A LOT OF WEIGHT!!!

7. Richardrwg

Richardrwg

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    Stafford
    Ride:
    Sun EZ Speedster SX
    Name:
    Richard
    I hear you on being able to hear traffic. I use Tympanic headphones when I'm riding, that way nothing is covering my ears. I can hear traffic coming, even birds while listening to the music.

A.D. likes this.
  8. modiorne

modiorne

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    NC
    City:
    Waxhaw
    Ride:
    Trident Stowaway II
    Name:
    Odie
    I just thought it was a brand name, now I see what you are talking about, the bone conduction style - very clever. Now I need to upgrade!!!

9. Cgurtler

Cgurtler

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    Whitehorse
    Ride:
    Catrike Trail, Azub
    Way to go on reaching your goal! You should be very proud of yourself. I hope you keep enjoying the rides and have great weather just a little longer.

10. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    Excellent job, losing weight is not a easy thing and doing while just getting use to a recumbent is a plus!! Sounds like your totally on the right track but if the weather turns too bad you might want to do what we did a get a "recumbent style exercise bike" at least it's good for mussel memory for the legs and if you get one like ours that has "different" levels of workout it helps. Till you get stronger you can just find some You Tube videos and ride along at the best pace you can! Keep it up, your heading in the right direction!! :)

11. Richardrwg

Richardrwg

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    Stafford
    Ride:
    Sun EZ Speedster SX
    Name:
    Richard
    And that's what I did...I picked this up on Facebook Marketplace for only $200.00. It's a Nautilus R616 and has 25 resistance settings. I can't even deal with the 25th setting, but I can struggle along on 18. I'm doing at least 2 "5 mile rides" without stopping, and if I'm feeling ambitious, a 10 mile non-stop ride. Hoping that by summer, I can go o a 2 wheel ride and maybe sell the trike assembly.

12. Cgurtler

Cgurtler

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    Whitehorse
    Ride:
    Catrike Trail, Azub
    Even if I suddenly found a DF bike comfortable I wouldn’t trade my trikes for anything. I love them and the ride too much to go back. Keep on riding and think hard before you trade in the trike.