1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell pastor hits the road to benefit local Habitat for Humanity

Discussion in 'U.S. Riders' started by NewsBot, Jul 9, 2019.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    071019.F.DR.BIKERIDINGPASTOR1.jpg
    Mitchell pastor hits the road to benefit local Habitat for Humanity Daily Republic

Mitchell, SD - A Mitchell pastor will take part in a 500-mile charity bike ride later this month to raise money to help fight poverty housing in the Mitchell area.

Daryl Schubert, 60, pastor at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and New Home Lutheran Church in Mitchell, plans to take part in the Habitat 500 Ride to Build fundraiser Sunday through July 19 in Minnesota to raise money for the Mitchell Regional Habitat for Humanity. This year marks the 27th time the benefit ride has been held.

Schubert is seeking sponsors to help him reach his fundraising goal. He is looking to raise $5,000 to help the local Mitchell organization build and repair homes for low-income families. Schubert said he has raised about $2,500 in donations as of early this week.

Habitat for Humanity is an ecumenical housing ministry that seeks to eliminate poverty housing from the world and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience, according to a press release from the organization. The Mitchell branch of the group has built or repaired more than 25 homes in Davison and Hanson counties with the help of volunteers, businesses and qualified partner families. The Mitchell affiliate is currently building its seventh new home since 2001.

The Habitat 500 itself is a bicycle ride and fundraiser that covers up to 500 miles over six days. Riders raise funds from family, friends, businesses and church groups and designate which Habitat for Humanity affiliate they wish to support.

In this case, Schubert looks to benefit the local Mitchell affiliate, but it won’t be his first time riding to support the overall organization. He previously took part in the event when he pastored at St. John Lutheran Church in Madison, with funds going toward the East Central South Dakota Habitat for Humanity affiliate there.

“I was living in Madison and working as a pastor there and I got involved with the Habitat for Humanity affiliate. The bishop of the South Dakota synod was retiring, and he had done one (bike ride) and he said I should think about doing it,” Schubert said.

A long-time cycling enthusiast, Schubert got on board and ended up ...

Continue reading...