1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finally, the first ride on the Bike E RX!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by bjjoondo, Jun 27, 2019.  |  Print Topic

1. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    Well we finally got a non-raining day during the week so I got to take out the "new to me" Bike E RX on a ride! Rode from Security on back streets, concrete and dirt trail, then along the Pikes Peak Greenway up to the Fonteniro St. Trailhead to see if the newest section on concrete trail from the trailhead to the Popsicle Bridge (This is a continuation of the Pikes Peak Greenway Trail that will be all concrete along Fountain Creek on one side and dirt for runners, etc. on the other side), The closed trail signs were still there but not blocking the way into the path so I took it north and figured I'd have to turn around at the new gates at the bridge but they were open too so I headed up the greenway trail to back streets over to the Drive Inn, a 50's style ice cream/burger place to get some lunch! Then headed down the Shooks Run Trail to Fountain Blvd up a huge hill via bike lane to the Hancock Rd to pick up the Hancock Expressway Bike Lane back to Security. 25 miles RT.

First impressions of the Bike E RX, once I got the "hang" of having to "balance and lean into turns", the ride was great, the RX model was Bike E's Performance Road machine and it handles well. The stock gearing I was a bit worried about but it handled even the monster hill on Fountain Blvd. quite well. The stock rear shock was a nice air shock but it was replaced by a "coil shock" it works good, although just a little bit of "bounce" when having to push the pedals hard uphill, still quite liveable for me! :) It's just too bad they quit making the Bike E it would have made a great "price break" entry to mid-level for new riders, jmho. I'm going to ENJOY having a recumbent BICYCLE again, till I get too old and beat up and my balance dies off!
    48138508006_36b4aac251_b.jpg
    48138602702_d121c2f997_b.jpg

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    When I saw that huge loop-de-loop in the slideshow I knew you couldn’t ride your 3 wheeled trike on it. Having only 2 wheels now should make it much easier to ride! :thumbsup: Be SURE and video it, if you make an attempt. :wink9:

bjjoondo likes this.
  3. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Since you are in Colorado Springs, you should get in touch with my husband. He is out there close to Denver and goes to Colorado Springs every little bit. Perhaps you two could meet up and ride together???He goes by "realengr" here if you decide to send him a message.

bjjoondo likes this.
  4. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    LOL, that my friend ain't NEVER going to happen! ;) We call it the "lock washer fountain"! :)

5. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    Sure, if he's down this way I'd be happy to get in a ride with him! my e-mail is: bjandjoondo*gmail.com :)

6. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I was just out in Breckenridge, CO and saw lots of dedicated bicycle trails there. Then to Colorado Springs but didn't see the trails you mentioned. I really didn't venture out much from the Broadmoor where we were staying. BTW, it SNOWED on us during the Summer Solstice. Crazy weather!!!

Click here for video.

bjjoondo likes this.
  7. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    LOL, yes it can do anything weather wise here in Southern Colorado, almost any time of year! We have 70F degree days in Feb. after a snowstorm or it can be 80's all the way thru November/December too! The upslope winds from the mountains can catch a cold front from Canada and pull it thru in summer, opposite in the winter. Next time your here use the start point of "America The Beautiful Park, down town Co. Springs as a parking base, north or south from the park is the Pikes Peak Greenway Trail, which goes from south of town into Fountain, CO., if you go north you can catch, the Sinton Trail or the Templeton Gap Trail, Sinton goes West towards the Garden of the Gods, T-Gap heads east but dead ends, unless you know how to use the "bike lane" off the trail to pick up the Rock Island Trail which will take you to Powers Blvd and ends. Also north a good one is the connection off the PPGW to the Cottonwood Creek Trail, which dead ends at the very eastern side of the city. If you keep going north it will take you thru the US Air Force Academy and all the way to the towns of Palmer Lake and Mounument, CO. although it's mostly DIRT once you pass Woodmen Ave. Also from the park, if you head WEST on the Midland Trail it will take the Creekside Trail heading to Manitou Springs, CO. well almost, when the concrete ends the trail goes to dirt and then hooks into a "back road" into Manitou Springs. None of the trails really Hook Up to the Broadmoor, you have to use bike lanes and back streets. https://coloradosprings.gov/parks/page/america-beautiful-park