1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archbold bicyclist logs miles and cans at age 92

Discussion in 'U.S. Riders' started by NewsBot, Apr 4, 2019.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    5ca470eb48f35.image.jpg
    Archbold bicyclist logs miles and cans at 92 Defiance Crescent News

Archbold, OH — It can be impressive when a bicyclist logs nearly as many miles as the odometer reading on the family car. And it could be considered even more impressive when that bicyclist is 92-year-old Ralph Aeschliman of Archbold.

Aeschliman and his wife, Betty, 88, have a 2007 Buick Rendezvous with 58,900 miles. Aeschliman has logged over 51,500 miles riding the back roads of Ohio, Texas and Florida, and in some organized events. He has the log books to prove it as well, keeping track of mileage, bicycle models and other details.

“My goal is to catch up,” he quipped.

His interest in bicycles began as a small child after he saw a Tricycle. He wanted one, but never got it. As he grew older, he asked for a bicycle. His parents told him that he could have a bicycle if he read through the Bible.

“I think I read most of it. I got a brand spanking new (bicycle),” he recalled. Some of his early riding memories include riding up to Harrison Lake one Sunday as they were constructing it.

Of course, as the years went by there have been other bicycles. In May 1992, he purchased a Yankee bicycle for $389. He became interested in it after reading an article in Popular Science about the unique radial gear nine-speed model which had a brake cable that fastened on the tire rim. He rode that until 2011 when the radial gear wore out.

Aeschliman’s next bicycle was a vintage 1973 Schwinn Breeze that he purchased from Memory Lane Classics on July 14, 2011. That bicycle went with the couple for several winters in Florida and Texas, attached to their Road Trek van.

While the bicycle might be considered old-school, there are high-tech accessories available. Asechliman bought a computerized cyclometer that tells speeds and miles and is compatible with smartphones.

“About 40,000 miles it started acting up. I got tired of that and put a new one in,” he explained.

His switch from two wheels to a recumbent bicycle with three wheels happened in 2014. He was out riding when three small dogs ran into the road, and he hit one of them. The collision threw him off of his bicycle, resulting in a broken collar bone. His doctor suggested he get something with another wheel.

Aeschliman’s first thought was the three-wheel model commonly called an adult tricycle with a basket. That did not appeal to him. A recumbent bicycle was more to his liking and had that important third wheel. He found a dealer just nine miles from home and ordered an eight-speed Terra Trike. The dealer’s mother had a three-speed recumbent which he loaned to him. Aeschliman put 898 miles on that bicycle in the two weeks waiting for his own eight-speed.

“I just love it, even though I only use three or four (gears),” he added. He takes his riding seriously and uses only pro tires.

He has ridden 100 miles in a day, but his usual is around 60. His speed was around 12 miles an hour in his 80’s on his two-wheel bicycle. Now, his speed averages about 5-6 miles an hour. Aeschliman has acquired a new passion in his riding — collecting aluminum cans along the roads — and that takes time.

He collected 1,027 pounds from July 2016 to October 2018 and has another large bag ready for recycling. How many he picks up per day depends on the road and area. What has surprised him is that about 95 percent of the cans are alcohol brands. He will be getting ...

Continue reading...

2. Dink

Dink

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    NC
    City:
    Mooresville
    Ride:
    Bachetta Strada
    Name:
    Chris
    How you’ve lived, and kept so active, is admirable and respectable! Bravo!

A.D. likes this.