1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clueless about value of frameset

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Brickos, Mar 19, 2019.  |  Print Topic

1. Brickos

Brickos

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    SANTA MONICA
    Ride:
    No bike yet
    Hello all,

A neighbour of mine asked me (the bike guy) what a fair price for his Lightning P38 frame was. Turns out I have no idea. I collect BMX and I'm fairly knowledgeable in regards to serial numbers, country of manufacture and sizes etc but I'm clueless on this. The frame doesn't have a serial stamped in any obvious place and I have no idea how to measure it to determine a size it appears to be structurally fine with some cosmetic (character) flaws. The bars appear original.

Cheers and thanks.

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Well a new frameset for a P-38 is currently $1300.

Looking in our Buy, Sale or Trade section, I find these prices seem typical for an entire P-38 bicycle: $700, $900, $950, $990, $1100, $1250, $1550.

I assume this is a used frameset you're referring to, and one has to realize that what a particular buyer will pay for something really depends on: 1)How long they've been looking for it and, 2)How badly they want it.(i.e. I got a bargain price vs. I didn't do bad price vs. I've hunted for so long, I would have paid even more.)

Now all that said, I can only give you the prices that would catch my attention if I were in the market for a P-38 frameset. I tend to prefer SWB bikes, so it has that in it's favor...for me. I've never ridden one nor a similar RANS V-Rex, but if I had and I liked the feeling of it these would probably be my prices for it: I got a bargain price $300; I didn't do bad price $450; I've hunted for so long, I might have paid even more price $600.

Just 'my' :2cents: worth, but maybe it'll give you a ball-park idea.

Flatfoot likes this.
  3. Brickos

Brickos

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    SANTA MONICA
    Ride:
    No bike yet
    Thanks. I'll let him know.