1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Most Recent Ride 2009 (Part II of series)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Rocketmantn, Sep 8, 2009.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    Re: My Most Recent Ride II

Dave, I havn't even thought about weight. The weisel weighs so much anyway I just find myself throwing more and more stuff on it. I actually plan on offering my services for search and rescue once I get all the lights going.:busted:

Dennis, :sorry: about your period

Ward

2. LeakyDuck

LeakyDuck Email Defunct

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Palmdale
    Ride:
    Sofrider
    Name:
    Darby

You were in California and didn't give us a call? :badwords::smack:

3. calboy147

calboy147 Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Newberry Springs
    Ride:
    noname trike
    Name:
    gene

Now I did try to get with you through the R.R.I. site when I left Button Willow for Tehachapi,but just could not seem to catch you. I forgot about the phone numbers listed in the profiles tho. So I apologize for my feeble memory. But don't feel slighted I tried to ride with someone in San Gabriel and also Puddingstone, but ran into some old friends from high school that I had not heard from inm about 30 years who kept me busy every day till i left.
    I am "post'a" be back out there this fall or winter,so I will make it a point to do a couple rides with you at least....:jiggy9:

4. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481

I rode the ridgeline today across Pine Mt. Some color change but not near peak and too many leaves on the trees to really appreciate the views.

I basically started about halfway up the mountain (big hill really) and over a series of climbs reached an overlook at top of the mountain. Probably 1200-1400 feet climbing in the first 10 miles without 600-800 on the way back. Traffic was pretty light but I had the lights going on the back of the Weisel anyway.

No speed records my adv was 12.3 for the ride but only 10.1 going out. Weather was just about perfect cool enough to make the climbs tolerable but not so cold that I froze on the downhills.

I hope everyone had a great weekend

Ward

5. LeakyDuck

LeakyDuck Email Defunct

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Palmdale
    Ride:
    Sofrider
    Name:
    Darby

Looking forward to meeting up with you face to face.

6. dragnfly

dragnfly

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    OH
    City:
    Springfield
    Ride:
    Path Infiniti
    Name:
    Shawn

You should like Calboy he's a pretty cool dude. I rode with him the day I wrecked and he was very helpful. You'll have to go slow for him LOL.
    Cheers
    Shawn

7. FeetFirstFella

FeetFirstFella

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    VRex, Corsa, V3
    Name:
    Don

Hey there Russell,

I've been on the Allegheny River Trail, several years ago with some of my PA biking buddies. It is indeed one of the most beautiful trails in PA, right along a beautiful river, and paved also - most trails in PA are crushed stone. I remember the long tunnel, the thing about this one is, it is slightly CURVED, and being a mile long, in the middle you cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel in either direction. Needless to say, having a light is a must to go through that tunnel. We rode it from the Franklin end, and that was before it was completed all the way to Emlenton at the current other end. We also climbed up on the trestle to the Sandy Creek Trail you mentioned, where it crosses the river, some nice views and appeared to be a nice trail also, but didn't have time to see it. Sounds like it was a neat camping trip for you. PA has excellent, excellent rail-trails.

Don
    Original RocketRiders Member #6, August 25, 2004

8. calboy147

calboy147 Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Newberry Springs
    Ride:
    noname trike
    Name:
    gene

Hey i like that Bicycle Kitchen ideal. Wish i had a place like that to have been able to go to and learn to work on my trike.
    Maybe If I start something like that here in "anti cycling" Jeff. county i can stir up some intrest and support for cycling here.
    Of course i have to find a few volunteers that actually do know how to work on bicycles.( I am still doing mine by the "Braille" method.....
    Think it would be best to start it in Jeff City?
    They have the largest population and better roads for cycling,and lots of college kids that are looking for something different to do all the time.....
    And if we need to make a show of intrest to get the city to promote cycling;it is pretty easy to get those kids mobbed up for any cause....:jiggy9:

9. FeetFirstFella

FeetFirstFella

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    VRex, Corsa, V3
    Name:
    Don

Just read your American River Trail report, Jon, very nice! Man that looks like arid country. There was a good write-up about that trail not too long ago in RTC mag, I believe......seems I saw it somewhere. It's a well-regarded trail, I guess you can vouch for that now. Good work man.

Don
    Original RocketRiders Member #6, August 25, 2004

10. myerscw

myerscw

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Downey
    Ride:
    Jetstream III
    Name:
    Curtis

Hi A.D.,

I'm noticing that the dates are all over the place on the threads. Perhaps the server RRI is set up is having battery problems? Where I work, we've noticed on some of the machines if the BIOS battery dies, they no longer keep appropriate dates and times.

Thanks for taking care of the web site, I greatly appreciate it. I'm on it almost every day to see what everyone has to say.

Oh, and since I probably won't get to ride this week until Sunday, I'm actually hoping it cools down as it's running in the mid-80s here in So. Cal.

Curtis

11. calboy147

calboy147 Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Newberry Springs
    Ride:
    noname trike
    Name:
    gene

Ditto that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jiggy9:

12. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

Can you give me an example thread/post you're referring to? I ask, because I've perused the site a bit and can't find anything that stands out like you're referring to. :confused9:

13. B-Savage

B-Savage

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Marion Springs
    Ride:
    Giro 26, CA-2
    Name:
    Dennis

I actually got out for a short ride yesterday and surprisinly it wasn't too bad. For sure I wasn't fast as I rarely am anyway, but it was a good ride. I got a little chilly before I got back but had taken extra clothing so that saved the day. A whopping 12.5 mile ride. Not much, but some...

The funny part of the ride was as I was riding out, less than a mile from home I met a combine. He was coming to get some beans from a field that used to be my wife's father's farm. Back in his, and even my day, that field would have taken us a couple days to finish. Now it is not all into beans because of filter strips along 3 sides (150' wide). Still, I was returning in less than an hour....and met the same combine in almost the same spot because he was leaving already. He had got the beans done in that time! It is amazing the changes in farming today vs. when I grew up.

14. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon

I got out Monday and Wednesday so far this week. Yesterday was a day to kill for. :woohoo: Clear blue sky. (No haze like summer.) Cool, crisp air (55 degrees when I left and 62 degrees when I got back) and dry.

I rode the Knoxville greenway :bike: west and then down Cherokee Boulevard which sports multimillion dollar homes. One of the homes I ride by is the University of Tennessee's President home. UT is going to sell the 11,000+ square foot home and instead give the President a housing allowance so they can build equity in their real estate. The home appraised for $3 million to $3.7 million. Chump change. Good thing I am not a chump!!

Lots of people out. Most were jogging and saw 6 cyclists. More than usual. Rode 20 miles at lunch and hated to get back to work afterward.

Hope the rest of you are riding in the final "great" weather before winter sets in.

Rain is coming so I am riding today also! I will try to take some pictures and post them.

15. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481

took the weisel out last night, rode 35 miles. A little cool about 60 to start and as it started getting dark it dropped into the upper 40's. I have been getting the weisel night-ride ready so the dark wasn't any problem. Actually, I really enjoyed the empty roads and the quiet of the night. No bugs either and thats huge.

Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.