1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Most Recent Ride 2009 (Part II of series)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Rocketmantn, Sep 8, 2009.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myerscw

myerscw

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Downey
    Ride:
    Jetstream III
    Name:
    Curtis
    Re: My Most Recent Ride II

My last ride was on Tuesday the 6th. I took my modified Linear out to ride the horse trails in part of Fullerton, CA. I didn’t think about how hilly the trail was or how loose the dirt would be in places. In just under 2 hours, I covered a whole 11.2 miles! My shirt was soaked; I was tired, and I went through 2 liters of water. Oh, and I forgot to mention the temperature was in the mid 70s, not even warm!

It amazed me how much strength I had lost since I was riding in the Sierras while on vacation. I don’t think I rode anything steeper than what I rode in the Sierras, and I was at least 5,000 feet lower in altitude. Of course, on the plus side, when I checked my weight yesterday morning, I was 2 pounds lighter than prior to my ride. Perhaps it would be good for me to go ride that area more often!!!

Since the horse trail I rode basically went around a golf course and through a nature preserve, it made me feel like I was out in the country, rather in the midst of the city. Considering that the area was surrounded by3 major streets, and close to Cal State Fullerton and one of the better hospitals in the area, this is quite a feat.

Since I go to a Community Bible Study on Tuesday nights in this area, I’m going to make certain I also ride this trail regularly, who knows, perhaps I’ll be able to pick the pace up to a more reasonable speed.

Curtis

2. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave

It truly was a gorgeous afternoon, and a Mental Health Afternoon for me; I didn't go back to work after lunch. Instead took the Rocket and Burley trailer to the tennis courts, bashed the ball with others for a while, and rode back to the plant. I dropped the trailer and took off without it. It was the most amazing feeling. Just like we experienced on the KATY trail when Jon agreed to sit on his trike and read and watch our trailers while I, Don, and Buddy explored a side trail. Dropping over 20 pounds instantly made the Rocket sizzle and take hills like a scalded dog. Got in about 38 miles and 3 sets for the day.

Dave "The Breeze"

3. calboy147

calboy147 Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Newberry Springs
    Ride:
    noname trike
    Name:
    gene

Cyrtis, That is what made me finally break down and purchase the exorbitant priced Big Apple tires. I found real nice trails like that all over So.Cal. Loma Linda,Mira Loma and even in the O.C.. They had gorgeouse horse trails. I could bareley peddle thru with the kendas that came on my trike tho.

But i wasn't sure i was suposed to be on them with the bike. Are they concidered multi use.Some only displayed bridle path signage. :jiggy9:

4. LeakyDuck

LeakyDuck Email Defunct

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Palmdale
    Ride:
    Sofrider
    Name:
    Darby

Have some friends who live in Idyllwild CA. Loaded bikes in friends Honda Odyssey and went off for the weekend.

Mon Rick took us and our bikes down to Hemet and we rode to Riverside, from there we caught the Metrolink home to Lancaster.

At 43 miles this is our longest ride to date. Great learning experience, what did we learn?

1. Always carry some food with you on a long trip. Breakfast at 10:00 am in Hemet - didn't get dinner till 10:00 pm in Lancaster.

2. It will take longer to get from Point A to Point B than we planned. Almost missed the last train home from Riverside (hence no dinner in Riverside, as planned)

3. I need lower gears, had to walk the last part of 2 hills.

4. I need to remember to take pictures.

5. We learned that we want to do more of this stuff. Had a total blast.

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

Glad you-all had a GREAT time and we're able to meet up and ride together! :tongue9: As that's what this board is all about.

It was pouring rain Tue evening when I got off work, so my last ride was delayed until Wed evening. Didn't get home and on the bike 'til about 6:40, so sunlight was waning. Still, I managed to get in about 12mi before dusk overcame me, then it was back to the house again! ha, ha :laugh9:

6. calboy147

calboy147 Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Newberry Springs
    Ride:
    noname trike
    Name:
    gene

Darby, You need to have him take you to Corona and you can ride the bike path to Huntington Beach then catch the MetroLink.
    lots of places to get off and eat etc. But you may want to take a tent etc.,and utilize the campground at the trail head,and again at the beach.
    Made for an awsome weekend.

I spent several months in Anza last year (or year before) and had to ride to the V.A. Loma Linda a couple times a month. At first I tried to take the bus but the racks only carry two bikes and after waiting nearly 3 hours for an empty slot on one i decided to ride the route and watch for a bus with an empty rack.
    Never happened so i just started riding the bike.

Did you take the short way trough the city streets or the Cal Trans designated bike route through the canyons? :jiggy9:

7. B-Savage

B-Savage

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Marion Springs
    Ride:
    Giro 26, CA-2
    Name:
    Dennis

You people are making me envious. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since I've rode. I'm having withdrawal symtoms.

On the other hand, I haven't been this tired out in years. Hope it ends soon. I haven't even hardly been hunting. Opening day, October 1, I was out for almost 3 hours and that is all I've been able to hunt. Nuts!

8. LeakyDuck

LeakyDuck Email Defunct

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Palmdale
    Ride:
    Sofrider
    Name:
    Darby

???????

How do I find those????

No we rode the city streets. Nancy knows the area well and she took a look at Thomas Brothers and gave us the route.

9. calboy147

calboy147 Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Newberry Springs
    Ride:
    noname trike
    Name:
    gene

Actually I stopped at the CHP substation in (oh man i cannot remember the name of the town up the hill from Hemet). I wanted to be sure the interstate was the designated route to take to Palm Springs and Joshua Tree.

But you can get a map from caltrans. Nice water proof map.
    Very few bad places to ride in Riverside or San Berdo counties anyway.
    Only places you have to be extra careful is Hemet and Perris, for two totaly diferent reasons. lol :jiggy9:

10. aenlaasu

aenlaasu

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    Sweden
    City:
    Uppsala
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 26
    Name:
    Terii

Rode yesterday! Gorgeous autumn day in the low 50's, clear little wind!

Blogged with photos. www.terii.wordpress.com

And I HOPE they reshoot the scene in the report/documentary where I'm pedalling past in the background! Gah.

Terii

11. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

Darby, I added some LINKs to Gene's post, so that may help. Also found this website called Southern California Bike Route Information, that might be of help.

12. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481

Must be a bad year if all you have to hunt is Nuts! :outtahere:
    I bet the squirrels are ****ed at you.

Ward

13. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481

Well, I have been slugging it out on the Weisel, last week I rode 5 out of 7 days. Its just such a beast compared to what I'm used to, I miss being able to coast. I know when I get back on the Dragon that I should be stronger but its been a month already and no enc in sight.

The good news is that its going to be easier to ride the Weisel at night. I am in the process of putting lights on just about every surface. So far I have a planetbike tailight mounted centrally at the top of the seat back and a Dinotte 200 lummin light mounted on the left rear seat stay. I also have a Reflective Triangle which hangs under the planetbike light. I have actually had DF riders on the Riverwalk complain about the brightness of my lights.....oh well too bad.

So far I only have one headlight, a Dinotte 400l helmet mount light. It took a few times to find the right spot on the helmet and the cable for the battery takes some getting used to, but its a real bright light.
    I have also been thinking about mounting a couple of these

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

on top of each fender. I think with 2300 lummins I might be visible

I am also thinking about switching to a faster tire. But that will probably be in the spring.

Ward

14. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave

I can't imagine why anyone would complain. Considering that a 9006 series car headlamp is rated at 1000 lumens, you're running more than an oncoming car would put out. Just be careful someone doesn't try to land a plane on your head at night. So how many pounds R U carrying in batteries?

Dave

15. B-Savage

B-Savage

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Marion Springs
    Ride:
    Giro 26, CA-2
    Name:
    Dennis

Dang Ward, you would have to catch that one. Like some others, I forgot my period....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.