1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Edmonton woman offers reward for recumbent tricycle stolen from her new home

Discussion in 'Stolen Recumbents!' started by NewsBot, Sep 23, 2018.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    sandra_kirkeby.jpg

Edmonton woman offers reward for recumbent tricycle stolen from her new home Toronto Star

Edmonton, Canada —Sandra Kirkeby had barely spent a day in her new home when crime crept up to her door.

On Sept. 16, the recently moved-in Empire Park resident woke to find her recumbent Tricycle, a specialized vehicle that allows riders to pedal from a reclined position, had been stolen from under a staircase near her front door, where it was locked up.

“The bike lock was on the ground, cut, and my (tricycle) was gone,” Kirkeby said.

42428979_239311106762994_6038124075669258240_o.jpg 42374602_239310746763030_739844104266973184_n.jpg

The next day, she added, she filed a police report and put out calls on social media, asking the community for help.

“It’s a unique enough looking bike that I’m hoping if I just keep putting it out there, somebody will see it.”

With one wheel positioned behind the rider, and two in front, Kirkeby’s yellow trike has a “Bentley Cycle” sticker, a basket in the back and is fitted with a head rest and conforming seat that allow her to cycle comfortably.

After an automobile collision in 2001, the 45-year-old woman said she has been living with chronic back and neck pain, amplified in recent years by the onset of arthritis, all of which make riding a typical bicycle intolerable.

“Right now, if I rode a regular bike I would make it probably a block,” she said, adding that the strain of riding upright can leave her with pain lasting for an entire day.

While she has made progress since suffering the injuries, swimming, and trike rides on the recumbent, are about the only forms of exercise she can perform that don’t aggravate her injuries.

Purchased used from a seller in Calgary for $1,500 in April, the recumbent costs approximately three times that brand new, Kirkeby estimates. But the trike had more personal than monetary value.

Continue reading...