1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Facebook/Twitter/Google LOGINS

Discussion in 'Board Issues/News' started by A.D., Sep 10, 2018.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I got the following email from Facebook this week...

However since we are not a banking website, we do not handle people's money accounts and there is no real reason for RRI to be employing an HTTPS protocol.

Secondly, an SSL Certificate (for HTTPS) costs around $60-$70/yr and frankly it's something we can't afford. As I've mentioned before we run on a shoestring budget and for the small amount it costs us to operate, I feel we do offer a good amount of knowledge for the new/casual recumbent rider.

That said, I'm not really interested in hounding users for 'more money' just to satisfy a new Facebook requirement that someone has now deemed as necessary. Facebook is erring on the side of caution by forcing any websites that a Facebook User logs into (via the Facebook app) to be using -or- go ahead and move over to an Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) protocol by October 6, 2018.

As such, we will no longer support logging into RRI via Facebook after that date. :confused:

My guess is Twitter and Google may not be far behind Facebook in requiring HTTPS, and if so we will have to turn OFF those login methods if/when the issue arises. :embarrassed9:

bjjoondo likes this.
  2. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    And I am reading that on 9/11!!! I totally agree with you. We don't need the security and for FREE, folks can sign in using their email address as far as I am concerned.

Good call!!!

Jon

3. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    It's just another scare tactic to get "sheeple" to do something unnecessary for the supposed sake of "security". I don't even use Facebook and I have no qualms about ditching my google account...:gripe:

4. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    So are we the only two people in the (relatively & questionably) civilized world that don't use Facebook?

bjjoondo likes this.
  5. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    No, my wife doesn't use Facebook, but I do, still I don't use it to "log" on to a different site so it's ok with me to pull the plug! :)

6. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    For me, to keep in touch with friends/family is to simply pick up the phone or get in my car and go visit. I work to much to worry about spending endless hours typing little messages...

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    ha, ha While I like that question/statement, I do use Facebook a tiny amount. I had to get a regular account, in order to qualify for a developer's account to then configure XenForo to work with it so FB users could login via such. For me, I guess it serves the purpose of letting some distant relatives know that I am still alive! :twitcy:

Google & Twitter may or maynot follow suit, as they have separate developer tools for an interface to XenForo. As such, we'll leave them all up & running as long as they will function.

:hand7: NOTE: Facebook, Twitter and Google interfaces have all been turn off.