1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Riding the Mineral Belt Trail in Leadville, CO.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by bjjoondo, Sep 9, 2018.  |  Print Topic

1. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    We drove the 2.5 hours from C. Springs up to Leadville, CO. on Friday, Sept. 7th. to ride the Mineral Belt Trail. This trail "surrounds" the town of Leadville, starts at 10,000ft. and summit's at 10,606ft. The trail is paved, (asphalt), pretty smooth and almost 12 miles round trip. We started at the Ice Palace Park Trail Head, going out, "clockwise", (less total uphill), the trail is 12-14ft. wide and allows NO motorized vehicles! It inclines as you head east then south thru forest of pines and aspen's, some turning the GOLD color of Fall already! Old Leadville was famous for Gold and Silver mines in it's heyday so there is examples of mines, equipment, etc., with information boards all along the trail, the trail and the town are "surrounded" by the Collegiate Peaks Mountain Range, most over 14,000ft. The views are spectacular, we as usual took our time and smelled the pines, LOL, we avg'ed, 5 mph with a top speed of 21 mph on the fast long down hill run, (could have gone a LOT faster but we are careful not to get stupid and hurt!!!!), the last part of the down hill are a series of "sharp, S-shaped corners, FUN, heading back into town. We had a GREAT time, what a way to end the summer season of riding, heading into Fall! Note: I took 69 photos, I'll show a few here, pls. check out our Trike Blog link in my signature for more photos! :)
    30692812528_0d6c332923_k.jpg

30692801158_9e45b27f1c_k.jpg

30692799548_f7f2b9b0c1_k.jpg

42754006710_1d2e9dac26_k.jpg

42754004490_2eda277061_k.jpg

42754002920_436450bab9_k.jpg

42753999370_2c6679d2ca_k.jpg

43653747545_52802bdd1f_k.jpg

A.D. likes this.
  2. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Wow those are some nice photos. Looks like a fun place to ride.

bjjoondo likes this.
  3. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    It's a great ride and the town of Leadville, CO. is very small and laid back, lot's of restaurants, the Tabor Opera House, gift shops and rustic motel/hotel's. They have LOTS of MTB off road trails in the area. The mountains surround the whole town so every where you look is a vista! LOL, if you need more miles, then just ride the loop counter clockwise for a whole different set of views. From here head a few miles up to Glenwood Springs, CO. and ride the 84 mile long Rio Grande Trail to Aspen or the 32 mile (both RT mileage), Glenwood Canyon Trail, both sweet trails. Or ride the Vail Pass Trail, (lot's of uphill grade!!), very easy area to spend a couple of week vacation! :)

4. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I am envious of your views and that trail!

bjjoondo likes this.
  5. Uncle Chunk

Uncle Chunk

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Franklin
    Ride:
    Greenspeed Magnum XL
    Name:
    Uncle Chunk
    Me too! Looks like a great ride!

bjjoondo likes this.
  6. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    LOL, well it's about time, I see all the GREAT looking trails you all have in TN. and I'm the one who's in ENVY! ;) The last time we rode that trail was 2005 so it's been a LONG time, forgot how nice it was, thanks! :)

7. Fuzzy47

Fuzzy47

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Spring City
    Ride:
    RecumbentUSA Trike-X
    Name:
    Mick
    ... and speaking of Tennessee trails, there is a ride scheduled for tomorrow, Sept 14th, on the Mountain Goat Trail by the Mid-TN Recumbent group. Ride will leave the Sewanee trailhead at 9:15 am, weather permitting .... just a warm-up get together ahead of the Tennessee Rally in Murfreesboro on Saturday and Sunday. I hope to go assuming that I can get some rear derailleur glitches sorted out this morning ... about a dozen or so riders registered.

Fuzzy

bjjoondo likes this.
  8. teesiea

teesiea

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    Bloomfield
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Giro
    Another one for the bucket list!

bjjoondo likes this.
  9. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    That Bucket List keeps getting LONGER and I don't get any younger or any richer, RATS!!! :(

teesiea likes this.