1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Post Based on Mountain Bike Accident

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BikeNei, May 26, 2018.  |  Print Topic

1. BikeNei

BikeNei

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    WI
    City:
    Minocqua
    Ride:
    No Bike Yet
    Greetings from north central Wisconsin (Minocqua). I've always been curious about bents. Looking at the depth of this forum I bet my story is not unique. While I like DF bikes - road and mountain - I've never been a flexible person, so even my Specialized Roubaix takes come getting used to every spring. Two weeks ago I went over the handlebars of my MB on mellow terrain. Caught me completely off guard. Landed on top of my head and fractured my C1 vertebrae. Everyone i know who knows anything medical tells me I'm very lucky to not be paralyzed and/or dead. Ended up with a concussion (even with a helmet) and 6 to 12 weeks in a stiff neck brace. So, now looking at making the jump to a bent for comfort and safety reasons. Even found a used late model Vision R40 locally that I might buy even though I would be an idiot to ride it for a couple more months; neck has to heal. Glad to find the RR forum.

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :welcome2: aboard! Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you're doing alright and looking into safer alternatives. :thumbsup:

Vision bikes were well made and and there's still a lot of them around even today. I rode a Vision R60 and really liked it, but had a hard time making up my mind between it and a RANS Force-5. Finally, after a couple of hours on each, Art Hagood told me I looked more natural/comfortable on the RANS.

The other funny thing about Vision bikes, were the USS models. Art told me every-single-person who had ever showed up to test-ride some of his bikes and had already pre-determined that a USS bike was just NOT for them, that each of those people had left with a USS bike by the day's end. :heelclick:

3. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    I had 3 neck vertebrae fused some years ago so am fairly familiar with the human neck/spine layout. You are correct about even being here, much less sending a posting, after breaking C1 & head injuries. Yes, too bad your switch to a safer alternative came one step too late, but it's never really too late. An endo on a 'bent is almost unheard of, as I was telling a customer at our LBS who had related his story of doing one recently on a MB trail & landing crossways on a rock.

Many helmet companies will replace a damaged helmet for free if you send them the damaged one. A good deal esp. since one should never use one that has been in an accident anyway.

4. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
  5. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    Welcome, glad you injury wasn't more serious. A used Vision should be a pretty inexpensive way to get into bent riding. Just remember, there is a learning curve. Find a nice flat smooth empty parking lot to play in.