1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Newbie from Eugene, Oregon

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by OR-HepCat, May 4, 2018.  |  Print Topic

1. OR-HepCat

OR-HepCat

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Eugene
    Ride:
    Burley Hepcat
    Name:
    Paul
    Hello All,

I am pleased to join this group of enthusiasts and I'm looking forward to learning more about the bent universe.

I just bought a used Burley HepCat after years of seeing recumbents on the bike paths of Eugene and thinking that they look like a cool way to roll. I did a lot of research online and decided that a SWB bike was what I wanted. Then I saw an ad on Craigslist for the Burley and decided to make it mine. No regrets so far.

It took a few days of short rides to learn the basics of riding one of these things. I'm still pretty wobbly getting off from a standing start but I haven't fallen over yet and I'm getting over the embarrassment of looking like a drunken beginner at intersections.

I am a motorcyclist as well. I really enjoy long distance touring. One of my riding buddies has crossed the US a number of times on standard touring bicycles. Once I get my legs built up I'm looking forward to touring with him and seeing the country up close at less the 20 mph.

Hope you all have a great summer and many good rides.

Paul

bjjoondo likes this.
  2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :welcome11: to the board Paul! The only thing worse than starting out new on a recumbent and appearing to be somewhat drunk, is starting out new on a tandem recumbent! :laugh9: So yep, that's the path we followed into the bent universe. :rolleyes9: What were we thinking, but I recall many a tedious starts and a lot of wobbling until we figured out what was going on. :thumbsup: All that said once we got the hang of it, our RANS Screamer became our exercise machine that first year and we rode throughout the winter...even when it was spitting snow on us. :twitcy:

3. OR-HepCat

OR-HepCat

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Eugene
    Ride:
    Burley Hepcat
    Name:
    Paul
    Tandem! Wow, I can imagine how that was a Challenge in the beginning. I can also imagine that tandem riding would be a great way to reinforce marital harmony.
    Thanks for your reassuring welcome.

4. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    Welcome from another newbie, ENJOY! :) BTW, your braver than I, I looked wobbly on a CWB recumbent bicycles when we first got our SUN EZ-1 SX's back in 2011! Tried a couple of SWB and gave up, upgraded to a LWB SUN EZ-Sport AZ, which I wish I had kept to go with my current Recumbent Trike! :)

5. OR-HepCat

OR-HepCat

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Eugene
    Ride:
    Burley Hepcat
    Name:
    Paul
    Hey BJ. Thanks for the greeting. I wasn't being brave when I bought my HepCat, just ignorant. I had never ridden a recumbent until after I bought it. I didn't really know the difference in handling characteristics between SWBs and LWBs except that I read that the LWBs have a larger turning radius. The fellow I bought it from was somewhat dumbfounded when I didn't even want to take it out for a trial spin. He seemed honest and the bike looked well cared for so I elected not to embarrass myself. No regrets so far.

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :laugh9: Ah Yes, some of us are wiser than others. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I had always heard LWB recumbents were bad about weaving back and forth when climbing the hills in Tennessee here...and that's pretty much been my experience. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I rode an Aluminum RANS V2 for a day down in Chattanooga. As that bike was easy to keep straight going up steep/slow climbs. Still, so far, my preference has been SWB recumbents to date.

bjjoondo likes this.