1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Utility Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by bjjoondo, Apr 16, 2018.  |  Print Topic

1. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    We don't own a car so I do a lot of "walking" around the area to pay bills or pick up odds and ends, today I decided at the last minute to walk to the storage area (1/4 mile) and take the trike instead. Over the last 2 weeks we've had Insane WINDS, 50+mph gusts or worse, well today get a "mellow wind, very sunny and very WARM day to run errands, LOL! Jumped on the trike and headed out to pay the phone bill, put money on the Wal-Mart Card and return my wife's library book. I still get the "what the !*#$ is that" look when I pull in and lock up the trike or just ride around our area! :) Decided to go the long way, put on 10+ miles, my avg. speed was 8.10 mph. which is 3.0 mph. faster than when riding with the wife! Had to take off the jacket and leg warmers quickly. I switched to a 32 tooth chain wheel (single chain wheel 7-speed external set up) and I do LIKE how much easier it is on the HILLS but LOL, the High End speed is SLOW! Going to have to come up with the cash for the Patterson 2-speed drive unit asap! (equal to: 28/45 tooth chain wheel set) or when my wife get's her "recumbent legs" she's going to leave me in the dust with her 44-ll high gear on her triple chain wheel!!! ;) https://photos.app.goo.gl/5JVF7Y2mJQmhMPjz2

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    We don't have a lot of wind in the valley I typically ride in/around, but I always think if I was out West I would carry an umbrella to help me along faster when I had a tail-wind. :wink9:

bjjoondo and Geyatautsilvsgi like this.
  3. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
  4. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    We usually have WINDS in Feb. and Mar. but they usually mellow by April, not this year!!!!! Today it's back to "Level 2 Wind Alert" 50+ mph. with gust's up to 60 mph. :( Friday is going to have high's in the low 40's with possible snow over night, hopefully only the foothill area's get the snow and us on the prairie will only get rain. Back up to 60F on Sunday so maybe we can get in a ride. :)