1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

easy mod to increase speed?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by kc5wqy, Apr 13, 2018.  |  Print Topic

1. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    hey guys i got a KMX f8 with 20 inch wheels on front, i ordered a new boom a triple chain ring the tool needed to change the chain ring, and derailleur, i told dealer what i wanted i went with his recommendation, the low end was killer i could climb anything, but im looking for top end speed, the post was to small even with all the spacers and a few more added when ever i changed gears the derailleur would move, there was no cable stop, and the top end was a whopping 2mph faster, i stripped it back down to factory, i was able to sell the parts and recouped some of my money, i kept the boom , but the dealer that i bought 2trikes from no longer gives a flying you know what, and pretty much ignores me now, so when im ready for new trike i will not be buying it from him, im sorry my question turned into a rant lol

ps i did all this 2 years ago i spent 2 years trying to make it work, just recently reverted back to factory

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    For me, the #1 cheap-n-easy thing to do is going up to a minimum of 100psi tires.(115psi tires work even better) So if your present tires are just 85psi, you might consider that. For me, the difference between 85psi and 100psi is about 2mph on average. Of course the trade off is, if you ride on rough roads be prepared for your teeth to rattle some. :wink9:

FWIW, my Reynolds T-Bone has a small diameter (i.e. non-standard 19mm) front derailleur mount that makes it difficult to mount a standard size derailleur on. To overcome that, a previous owner machined a piece of hard plastic into a C-shape that fills the gap between the small derailleur mount and a standard derailleur clamp.(i.e. from 19mm up to 32mm)

3. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    im already running 100psi marathons, i need a cable stop of some sort my boom is aluminum, i can weld steel but has no experience or equipment to weld aluminum, everytime i would shift gears the cable would pull the derailleur sideways and after a few times it would need adjusting again, the closet thing to a stop was a slot on bottom of boom and a hole drilled above the slot, had to use a t nut with a cable adjuster inside it to keep cable from pulling thru the hole, but the cable was at a severe angle from connected to derailleur

i dont know if you can picture it or not but thats the best i can describe it

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yes, I can fairly well visualize what you are describing. I tripped across this page tonight, while looking at GorillaWhips and noticed they have several mounts for their whips. That, or something similar, might be made to work on your boom depending on it's diameter to function as a cable-stop. :idunno:

5. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    maybe so

6. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    i found some more speed, my son in law got a new bike, i haul his old one off and stripped all reusable parts off, and discovered his rear wheel is the right width, mounted it, tuned it and ****! its a 7 speed but 1st gear is higher than 8th gear on my Nexus? i do have a 10 tooth smaller front chainring im going to put on the front and see how that works if its still to much, then i may just have to store my trike until i can get my nexus checked out (needs maintainance at least, maybe repair or replaced? works fine but 6th gear giving me hell), and hopefully relaced onto a 24 rim, it looks alot better with the 24 wheel but im told it makes hills harder? i dont know im still learning about bike mechanics and such

7. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    Patrick, how much are you willing to spend on upgrading your trike? I have a first generation KMX Venom that has just been gathering dust for the last two years. I might be interested in selling some parts, they are not cheap but they work really well and I guarantee you will be faster. If I sell one, I need to sell them all as what s left will be pretty useless.

Schlumph HSD already mounted on a boom. This has a 27t small chainring but when you push the button on the side with your heel it changes to a 67 tooth chainring. It's an internal gear similar to your nexus only on the front. The best part is you don't need a derailleur. We would need to check and make sure the booms are compatible.

I also have three 24" very strong and lightweight wheels with a 10 speed capreo hub on the back. These are Velocity A23 rims with Sapim CXRay spokes (the lightest and strongest). The 24" wheels all the way around make the trike much better handling at speed, especially on downhills. Also, you only need one size tube. The hub allows you to run a 9 tooth chainring. Currently the cassette is a 9-36 which gives you a huge range for climbing and bombing downhills.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss it.

8. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    If your KMX is gathering dust...what do you normally ride???

9. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    I started riding trikes when my friend started riding. He was very large and slow so on the trikes I could get a good workout. As he lost weight and began riding farther and faster Imupgraded the KMX in order to keep up with him and for several years I rode the Venom that way. As he became faster I moved to the Windcheetah but after a year or so he was outpacing me again so I traded it for the VKHi. Now he is faster than I am on the VKHi and there just isn't anything I can do about it. He rides about 6000 miles a year and I usually have 2000-3000.

So, I ride the VKHi on the road mostly in the summer. The RANS V2 and my singlespeed upright MTB get most of the winter riding. My older steel singlespeed has road tires on it and I use it for hill repeats in my neighborhood.

10. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Hmm, that means you must be in pretty good shape. Does your friend ride a recumbent or a regular bike? If he is on a regular bike, do you think he keeps getting "faster" as a subconscious competition since you are on a recumbent???:wink9: think you will ever ride your venom again???