1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hello from Southern Colorado-USA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bjjoondo, Jan 21, 2018.  |  Print Topic

1. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    Hello, I'm from Colorado Springs, CO. - USA, I just ordered a Sunseeker Eco-Tad SX Recumbent Trike, it will be assembled and ready to ride home on Jan. 24th. !! I'm 60+, have had a couple of bent bicycles in the past, (SUN EZ-1 SX and Sun EZ-Sport AX) but along with my wife JoLynn have been riding DF, Del Sol Comfort bicycles for last couple of years. I have Reiter's Syndrome, (arthritis) and it's been harder lately to get my leg over the top tube so decided to go back to a bent. Wanted to try a Tadpole trike but decided if I didn't like it, didn't want to spend a lot of money, LOL, can always upgrade later! ;) I'm Retired and look forward to getting my "recumbent legs back"! :) Thanks!

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :welcome_to: B.J. I turn 60 this year and so far, so good.:heelclick: I still have a Sun Easy Rider AX in our stable of bikes, one of the few with suspension. :thumbsup: The nice thing about trikes is, never having to hurry to get un-clipped when you stop! :twitcy:

bjjoondo likes this.
  3. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    :welcome8: to our bent family. Glad you are getting back in to riding.

bjjoondo likes this.
  4. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    Welcome! Any bent is better than a DF bike!!!

bjjoondo likes this.
  5. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    I'll second that, but with the disclaimer "to each his own".:cool9:

bjjoondo likes this.
  6. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    A lot our "changes" have been strictly due to "economics" or wanting to try something different. We really liked our Sun Recumbent bicycles but decided we wanted to try a "tandem", couldn't afford a Recumbent Tandem so we sold our recumbent bikes to buy a Trek DF Recreational Tandem, we LOVED the Tandem but I have Reiter's Syndrome, (mean arthritis), my knees couldn't stand the stress of the weight of holding up both me and the Mrs. and the extra weight of the Tandem at stops so we sadly sold the tandem but didn't have the finances to afford "Bent Bicycles" again. :( We ended up on the DF Comfort bikes as they let you sit almost "Straight up" more than most DF bicycles! We've been able to save a bit more so now were getting "entry level" recumbent trikes, one day hope to trade in the single R-Trikes for a Tandem Recumbent Trike but at $6,000 dollars it's going to be a while! :)

A.D. likes this.
  7. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    The trike is assembled, I've been fitted, we added an accessory or two put on the lights and the flag and we headed home from the shop! The first ride was a mix of concrete path, trail packed dirt/limestone mix, asphalt, 4 lane highway and town streets. 10 miles with some good incline, the DF comfort bike had 21 speeds the new R-trike has "8" but the gearing is spaced pretty good, I was worried a bit as the "dirt" isn't always even but the trike did well, LOL, once I remembered to "RELAX the upper body and just use slight pressure on the grips! ;) For now I'm using the "Power Straps" on the pedals to keep my feet on, I'll go to clip in pedals in time, the steering is VERY quick, have to be mellow, I have noticed that in top gear 7th. (38x13), I seem to get a bit of "side to side" movement when full out, need to smooth my cadence would be my guess? Heading down the emergency lane on Hwy. 85/87, LOL, I'm getting stared at, it's a very rare site to see a recumbent trike in this area and even less in my little village of Security, CO. We are in El Paso County and they don't waste money on "Bicycle Lanes" but luckily the streets are quite wide and the cagers are giving me a lot of room, more so than when I rode the comfort bicycle. Sorry no photo's but I was kinda racing the setting sunlight to get home before dark, this is going to be a lot of FUN! :)

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yes it sounds like it, take a look at: Tadpole Steering Question for some more advice.

Meanwhile, glad you enjoyed the ride home! :heelclick: Sounds like there are lots of FUN miles ahead of you. :thumbsup:

bjjoondo likes this.
  9. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    A.D. thanks for all that info, sounds like great advise, will have too put to use on the next ride!! Going to have to save up the bucks for "clip in pedals" asap, sounds like they help a bit too, again thanks and have a most excellent day! :)

10. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    Glad to see another face here Bj. pedal steer is a factor on most recumbents and over time you will begin to offset it with steering input. You will forget that you are even doing it. Another thing about trikes that takes some getting used to is the lean. Most roads are graded so the water will roll to the sides. On bikes our bodies compensate without us really being aware. On trikes you might find it annoying as you are constantly having to lean your body towards the middle of the road.

Enjoy and post some pictures.

11. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    Ward, thanks! we got out for 10 miles today, did have problem, my top chain tube came loose and went into the chain ring, no damage, I tighten all the tube holders and the tube guides, the trike seems fine after that! LOL, riding a R-trike makes folks want you to stop and talk to them about it! ;) Stopped at a Sonic for a mini-strawberry ice cream slush a good ride! :)

20180127_142724.jpg

12. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yep, a few essential tools and/or a multitool (i.e. Leatherman, etc) can come in quite handy at times! Very :cool9: you stopped by a SONIC, er, ah, I meant...drove-into one. :wink9:

13. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    LOL, it was the one open spot in the "Sunshine"!! So we figured we'd take the space, then dine on the patio, no one seemed to mind! :) When I got home I did notice the "chain" seems to be angled a bit, (off center) but it rides fine? May have to take it back to the shop for a alignment adjustment, not real happy with the "pressure", the Power Straps put on one side of my foot, gona go ahead and get those "clip in pedals" anyway. :)

14. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    From my post some time ago, and many others; as you can see I am a big Frog advocate, and they are far less expensive than knee/foot surgery:

As I have stated before, and for reasons as you read in A.D.'s reference, I WOULD NEVER NEVER NEVER RIDE A Trike WITHOUT FEET SECURED TO THE PEDALS. Clips, cleats, Frogs, EggBeaters, rubber bands, double sided tape, tie-wraps, Super Glue, whatever it takes. But not doing so is a recipe for possibly instant destruction of knee, leg, and foot ligaments. Sorry if this scares you from reading as dramatic, but it is. And yes, I do have a Catrike 700 (and three 2-wheelers) all with Frogs. It is a lot of fun, but like most sports one must be aware of and deal with the dangers.

A.D. and bjjoondo like this.
  15. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    2018-27-1.jpg I did put the "Power Straps" on right away, you have to force your foot "to the left" for them to release your foot so I'm ok as far as "Heel Suck" goes but I'm going to see what the LBS carries in the Clip-in's on Wed. think it would make my pedal strokes more efficient!! I'll see if he has FROGS or Egg Beaters in stock. My bicycle shoes are older Shimano lace up's will have to see what will fit them. Thanks for the heads up, never mind taking wise advise from veterans! I'll admit, I've always used, Full clips and straps on my DF bicycles, Power Straps and grippy platform pedals on my "Bent bicycles"! :) 04-28-11recumbentbytheres.jpg bikeride5-2011-1.jpg