1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chrome Security Warning...

Discussion in 'Board Issues/News' started by A.D., Aug 17, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Just FYI, I received the following notice today from Google...

Google has developed a master-plan to consider pretty much anything that is not HTTPS as insecure. So, after October as you are browsing the web you may get alerts on pages that you type-text-into since it's not encrypted via an HTTPS website.

Google's recommendation is for all websites to convert over to HTTPS only, and claim that any info entered into an HTML FORM that is not encrypted will be flagged as non-secure.

The issue is, HTTPS requires a valid security certificate (which you typically purchase and renew periodically) and frankly is beyond our very limited budget.

Secondly moving from HTTP to HTTPS only, brings with it a plethora of problems and issues.(i.e. as seen here)

Thirdly, in my mind, it's akin to requiring your shopping-list to be encrypted when you go to the grocery store.

While I certainly understand the importance of security on m-a-n-y things, a public forum which encourages open discussions is not one of the things I would deem as requiring encryption to pass data from your computer to our bulletin board, nor send data from our bulletin board to your computer.

As such, I have no plans as of now to convert the website over to HTTPS only. Thus, it's possible users may get a warning about entering data into an unsecure-form on the website here, come October.

2. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi