1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disabled veteran needs help finding stolen handcycle - Tucson, AZ

Discussion in 'Stolen Recumbents!' started by NewsBot, Aug 13, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot

Notice: At 18-19 seconds into the video, his recumbent handcycle is shown.​

Disabled veteran needs help finding stolen handcycle
    Tucson News Now
    PIMA COUNTY, AZ - A disabled veteran in Pima County is pleading with his community to help find his stolen Handcycle.

It was stolen from the man’s home near River and La Canada at 5 a.m. on Saturday morning. It’s valued at more than $16,000 dollars.

14641999_G.jpg

“I’ve got to admit it was disappointing,” Disabled Navy veteran, Gerard Ah-Fook said.

In 1995, Ah-Fook enlisted in the Navy, a few years later he was involved in a horrific boating accident. His right leg had to be amputated. His other leg was also severely injured.

“The shock and trauma of my injury, I swelled up so much pressure needed to be alleviated,” Ah-Fook said.

Ah-Fook said handcycling helped pull him through an extremely dark time. It’s now his passion. He cycles around the World as part of the Paralyzed Veterans of America Racing Team. He’s also a member of the University of Arizona handcycling team.

“Cycling absolutely had a vital role for me to get back to feeling like I am who I am despite what body parts I have or what I lose physically,” Ah-Fook said.

Gerard’s close friends are left wondering how someone could be so cruel to steal the bike that meant so much to him.

“It’s kind of a punch in the gut. A big punch in the gut that this would happen to somebody like that because it’s not only physical therapy for him but it’s actually mental therapy,” Gerard’s friend, Aaron Wilson said.

20769932_10214393824468237_2240340220942378847_n.jpg

Now Ah-Fook needs help from the community. His bike is a recumbent three wheel bike with a white frame and red lettering that says “Top End Force RX.” Ah-Fook said he doesn’t hold a grudge over whoever did this – he just wants his bike back.

“I hope you realize that it’s not going to benefit anybody, including not yourself. I forgive you and ...

Continue reading...

2. NewsBot

Name:
    I am a Robot
    14655702_G.jpg

Update: Stranger surprises disabled veteran with handcycle
    Tucson News Now
    TUCSON, AZ - Tucson News Now has a positive update on a story we brought you on Saturday, Aug. 12, about a local disabled veteran’s handcycle that was stolen from his home on the northwest side, but now a stranger has stepped in to help.

“I’d like to give this to you,” Randy Sooter said.

“Oh, thank you! That’s fantastic,” Gerard Ah-Fook said.

“I know you probably have some races coming up and the training is really important,” Sooter said.

Gerard Ah-Fook is a Navy veteran who lost his leg in a boating accident years ago. He told Tucson News Now the sport of paracyling helped pull him through an extremely dark time.

Now he lives and breathes it. He competes around the world and has taken home championships. But on Saturday morning a criminal swiped his specialized bike right from his front porch. Randy Sooter saw Tucson News Now’s story about Ah-Fook and felt compelled to step in.

“At first I was bummed when I read the story. I couldn’t believe that somebody would steal his handcycle,” Sooter said.

Sooter happened to have a handcycle at this house that he purchased while he was rehabbing from ankle surgery. On Monday, Aug. 14, he ...

Police are still searching for the person who stole Ah-Fook’s bike. It’s a recumbent three wheel bike with a white frame and red lettering that says “Top End Force RX.”

If you know anything about this, call 88-CRIME.

Continue reading...

3. NewsBot

Name:
    I am a Robot
    23020106_1502756101.3222.jpg

Custom cycle stolen from veteran amputee
    KVOA Tucson News
    TUCSON, AZ – A veteran amputee is hoping for the safe return of his custom cycle.

Gerard Ah-Fook realized it was missing early Saturday morning. He lives near River Road and La Canada Drive where he enjoys easy access to the Rillito trail.

“It's pretty significant in my life,” Ah-Fook said.

The Navy veteran got the 3-wheeled recumbent cycle through the VA.

“I'm kind of bummed out because I’ve had a good run of training recently,” Ah-Fook said.

A replacement would cost thousands of dollars and take months to rebuild. He said it has little value on the black market.

“It's a tiny community in the world,” Ah-Fook said. “So we pretty much will know if someone tries to sell it.”

He has a race planned next month.

“I've already forgiven the person who took it,” Ah-Fook said. “And at this point I would just love to see it come back to me.”

Ah-Fook is accepting donations for a replacement bike. You can Donate to his GoFundMe account by clicking here.

Continue reading...