1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trike was a wheelchair-bound teen's only way to get around, then it was stolen

Discussion in 'Stolen Recumbents!' started by NewsBot, Jul 27, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    bailey%20bike.jpg

This bike was a wheelchair-bound teen's only way to get around on her own. Then it was stolen.
    Belleville News-Democrat
    Belleville, IL - A Belleville teenager's recumbent bike, one that she uses as one of her only ways to stay active on her own, was stolen from near her house.

Bailey Kruse, a 17-year-old senior at Belleville West High School, has Friedreich’s ataxia, a degenerative neuromuscular disorder. One in 50,000 people in the U.S. are affected by the disease. Bailey’s FA impacts her balance and muscle control, and the bike is a way she can stay active with her friends.

So when it was stolen July 17 from Bailey’s Belleville home, she was devastated, her mom said.

“(Her bike) represents hope, the ability to keep moving is something that represents hope, not just to Bailey, but to others (with Friedreich’s ataxia),” said Amy Kruse, Bailey’s mom. “It’s not the loss of a thing, it’s the loss of an ability.”

Kruse said police have no leads on where the bike might be, or who took it ...

Continue reading...

2. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    Belleville teen with muscular disorder has recumbent bike stolen
    fox2now.com
    “I feel like if I’m frustrated or stressed or anything, I can get on my bike and everything goes away when I’m riding it,” says Bailey. “I can feel the wind on my face, which is nice.”

But last Monday, her recumbent bike was stolen from her Belleville home. She relies on the bike to stay active with her muscular disorder.

“Friedrich’s ataxia,” says Amy Kruse, Bailey’s mother. “It’s a degenerative neuromuscular disease, so it’s inherited.”

Neuro divergent, that’s the phrase Kruse and a friend created, a powerful term, to describe her physical disorder. One in 50,000 people in the United States are affected by Friedrich’s ataxia.

The Kruses found a support group of FA families and a bike for bailey last year.

“She gave Bailey the bike she couldn’t use, so Bailey could try and maintain mobility for a while longer,” says Amy, describing another FA friend and family. “So we’ve had it for almost a year.”

The family has set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for a possible replacement ...

and more »

Continue reading...