1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

flat tires, help please

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by kc5wqy, Jun 29, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    i've had 2 unsuccessful surgeries on both hands, my spine is ate up with osteoarthritis, and degenerative disc disease, at one time i was 6'1 now im 5'10, suffer chronic pain and also have high anxiety issues, fixing front flats isnt to awful bad, fixing rear flats at times nearly sends me into panic attacks,last week i had 4 flats on the rear, twice i patched the tube without removing the wheel, the patches gave way, then i pulled the wheel checked the rim and checked the tire put in new tube my last tube, about 2 miles later had a rear flat again i tried patching it once again the patches failed, i sat on curb nearly in full panic mode in 104 degree weather, finally got someone to come pick me up and the trike up, waited a couple days tore the trike apart never could find the problem, repatched the tube been holding air a week now, all my tires are marathons with the green guard technology, my tube are extra heavy duty, i also have protective tire strips, and slime, i should be nearly flat proof?
    i tried solid tubes before they felt like i was rolling on low tires, the rear stay on ok, the fronts felt like the tires were gonna roll off the rims, ive seen some new technology in solid tires like the nexo tires, anybody know anything about them? i like to run my tires around 80psi to 100psi, any advice suggestions ideas?

2. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    Throwing out ideas off top of my head:
    If the patches are pulling loose, sounds like old or bad glue. Or tube not scuffed enough at the hole site? Or patches too small/big? Or glue not evenly applied? Or glue isn't fully cured before reassembling the tire. "Glue" is a vulcanizing process that might be affected by high ambient heat (or direct sunlight?).

A tiny sharp embedded in the tire (down between tread that punches the tube when rolling & weight is on it? I always carry a silver Sharpie marker. When I have a flat I mark the tube valve position on the tire sidewall & the outward facing side of the valve before removing the tube. Also mark the tube at the tube puncture. Match up the 3 marks (tube lays on tire on its side as it was removed) & check the tire for embedded debris at the puncture site.

If they're the self-adhesive patches, I've not heard much good about them.

Of course there's always the pinched-tube problem but that should be obvious at the tube failure site.

Wonder how internal tire temperatures in 104 deg.F ambient affects even well-patched tubes?

I try to not patch out on the road, preferring to carry a usable tube. But more than 1 flat in one ride is a real bummer & a day-ruiner.

3. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    its a real pain cause i also have luggage rack and saddle bags, which makes doing anything to the rear wheel a major pain, id like to figure another way of carrying my stuff so can eliminate the rack and bags

4. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    i wonder if going tubeless is a option? get a flat inflate locate leak plug? but do they make mini plugs? im sure automotive plugs would be to big

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    My first question is, where were the holes located on the tubes that you had to patch? Towards the outside of the tire (i.e. against the tire surface), or towards the inside of the wheel?(i.e. against the rimsurface ). If they are on the inside, towards the rim surface, the #1 suspect is the sharp edge of the individual spoke holes.(IMHO)

I ask, because I had a blow-out with an interesting cause. As it turned out, one time when I had a flat in Florida I had used a 16gram CO2 cartridge to refill my 650 tire. Unbeknownst to me that over-inflated my tire to 185psi :jawdrop:, since I was on the side of the road and w/o a tire gauge at the time. Later, I learned all I needed was a 12gram CO2 cartridge for my 650c wheels. Anyway, once I discovered the over-inflation of my wheel, I let the air back down to just 100psi. Fast-forward a little over a year and while on a local ride BOOM, Blowout! Upon taking things apart, what had happened was the 185 pounds of pressure had (super) depressed the rim-tape down into the rim holes for the spokes. So much so, that in a few places the rim tape was cut into by the sharp edge of the spoke holes. By that I mean, it looked like someone had taken a hole punch and just punched a hole in my rim tape right at the spoke hole. That was the cause of my blowout! So, I removed all the rim tape and replaced it with new and since paid much more attention to how I refill the air in my tires...especially if/when I'm using a CO2 cartridge.

After having several flats on that same recumbent that runs 650 wheels, I was frustrated in that they only make very light duty/racing tires for it. So after several flats, I was:hissyfit9: to no end. I couldn't get a thicker tire and I couldn't stop having flats. My fix was to take my old (i.e. blown out) tubes and CUT the valve core out of them. Next, to create my own thicker tire, I sliced the tube length-wise around the inside of it's circumference. This gave me, in essence, another layer of rubber protecting the outside of my tubes filled with air. To be clear here, I had two inner-tubes in each wheel. The first inner-tube was my main (i.e. air-filled) inner-tube filled, and my 2nd inner-tube was installed atop my 1st one for an additional protective layer of insurance against flats! That setup gave me good service for several years, and in the meanwhile I developed a better eye as to what to watch out for when riding.(i.e. SUN glistening off broken glass shards in my path, etc.)

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    One other thing, I notice you are in New Mexico and I know there has been a heat-wave out there lately. Is it possible the extra hot pavement may be over-stressing your tubes?(i.e as discussed here and here)

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    While they do make them most applications that I've seen refer to using such on (lower pressure) mountain bike tires. However, DynaPlug does support using their product with road bike tires...

8. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    it was towards the tread where its suppose to be impenetrable with the advertised built in tire guard and my internal tire guard, i run 85psi tires are rated for 100psi so i dont think expansion from the heat but maybe? that plug and ride looks expensive and doesnt look very mobile?

9. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Well when you are patching the tube, are you able to identify the culprit in the tire (and/or tube) upon inspection? If so it is glass, stainless steel shards from worn-out (auto/truck) tires, thorns, etc? My only other guess might be to inspect each spoke hole to look for any kind of debris, that could be getting loose and possibly causing a flat.

Other than Dave (Mtwnrocket), you seem to be having as much of a problem with flats as he did for awhile. :lost-it:

Maxxis Hookworms are probably about the most heavy-duty tire I've come across, but they are a bit weighty. Still, i'm surprised that running liners you are having flats. That by itself, is usually a pretty good way to ward-off flats. :mmm:

10. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    i almost ordered hookworms but was convinced that marathons were the best, the walmart bmx tires i was running id wear the tire out before i had a flat, but the tire wore out in 3 or 4 months, mostly dryrot

11. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Therein may lie another clue to what could be happening. If your tires have dry dry-rotted in the past, what about the age & condition of the bicycle tubes?

All rubber will eventually dry-rot over time (in fact Serpula lacrymans, the fungus that is responsible for dry-rot in wood, attacks rubber once it has been compromised), but there are a few things one can do to help delay the onset of such. Namely, minimizing exposure to Ultraviolet Light and Ozone and usage of a specialized protectant like Golden Eagle 303.(NOT to be confused with products like ArmorAll, which leave a 'slick' coating on the surface. See FAQ)

So have you been able to identify what sort of material(s) have caused the punctures in the past?

12. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    when i swapped over to marathons i swapped tubes i generally change tube when i change tires
    i been pretty good at finding pricklies and stickers and this and thats, this is new mexico everything out here has a sharp point on it

13. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Well that's some good news, as I thought if you had not found anything then perhaps something was still lodged inside the tire causing it. I guess my worst enemy, here in East TN, had been glass shards along the roadside. However, I don't have any experience with thorns and such penetrating tires, liners and tubes! :surprised:

14. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick
    oh man your so lucky, we have all types of cactus's, mesquite bushes with 3 or 4 inch thorns, goat heads, and so much more i cant even remember everything at the moment,

15. kc5wqy

kc5wqy

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    NM
    City:
    hobbs
    Ride:
    kmx 20/20
    Name:
    patrick