1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cushy Custom Headrest

Discussion in 'Homebuilt and Modifications' started by prh2, Jun 12, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. prh2

prh2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TX
    City:
    Houston
    Ride:
    Catrike Expedition
    The headrest mod was the first modification I made to my Catrike Expedition, as I found the stock headrest didn't provide sufficient cushion on bumpy roads. The space frame supports and frame clamps are the only parts used from the OEM headrest. I had a piece of 4" diameter soft foam which I cut 7" long. This is contact glued into a cradle sawed from the side wall of 4" PVC pipe, which is epoxied to a fabricated steel hinged attachment at the top of the space frame supports. The foam is covered with two layers of black opaque stretch fabric pulled over it (cut from the toe ends of a pair of women's leggings). What makes this design really comfortable, besides adjustability, is that there's no hard support through the center of the cylindrical foam. You have a full 4 inches of soft padding behind your head. The stretch fabric cover stays put, and is so cheap I'll just replace it rather than wash it when it gets dirty.

8fe36a18381cf915d10cbcc8d7d3586462d7eb8b.pjpg.jpg
    7d236ffc3072fc01d7adb5c9d71454f86479374e.pjpg.jpg

A.D. likes this.