1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chain Management

Discussion in 'Homebuilt and Modifications' started by prh2, Jun 12, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. prh2

prh2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TX
    City:
    Houston
    Ride:
    Catrike Expedition
    On my 2008 Catrike Expedition, the TerraCycle power side idler is mounted in the stock location, and the non-power side idler is mounted on a Terracycle idler clamp mount forward of, and in line with the power side idler. The slightly lower position of the non-power idler allows return chain to clear the chain keeper on the power idler. Long axles on both idlers, which I machined out of stainless, allow each idler to float horizontally as gears are shifted, in order to maintain a True straight chain path between rear cassette cogs and front chain rings for both power and non-power sides simultaneously. The result is smooth and quiet chain flow.

81016634f8d6b9de527804f0cf171b7ab92cb054.pjpg.jpg

A.D. likes this.
  2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Excellent idea. I've noticed over the years, that some recumbents utilize longer axles on their idlers to make for a smoother chain path. Eventually I did the same for my RANS Force 5 and it helped out a lot. :thumbsup:

3. prh2

prh2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TX
    City:
    Houston
    Ride:
    Catrike Expedition
    Great minds think alike .... just kidding, mine's pretty feeble. I was in a local recumbent shop yesterday noticing how many practical improvements have been made by manufacturers since I bought mine new 9 years ago.

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD