1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time plus skill equals unique personal transportation for Grandville, MI man

Discussion in 'Homebuilt and Modifications' started by NewsBot, Jun 9, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    22876105-large.jpg

Time plus skill equals unique personal transportation for Grandville man
    MLive.com
    Grandville, MI - They say success is not so much a destination as it is a journey, or in other words, getting there is half the fun.

Michael Timmer's latest project is the perfect illustration of that philosophy.

Timmer, 60, could have gone to a sports equipment shop and bought a recumbent bike for himself as he did for his wife, Geri. Instead, he built one from spare parts from five different bikes - two he bought at Love INC, a frame he found at the city leaf drop-off site last fall, and a bike-powered cart he made for home use.

"I love taking a pile of junk and making something out of it," he said. "I guess you could say refurbishing is my forte."

He has invested about $400 cash for the seat, new tires and chains.

The bike has 15 gears with the capacity for 30, and hand brakes. It's a far cry from the road bike he's been riding since 1974.

"I spent about six ...

Continue reading...