1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Replaced my triple crankset to get lower gears - need help with adjustments

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by ckwilliamsjr, Nov 23, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. ckwilliamsjr

ckwilliamsjr

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    OK
    City:
    Duncan
    Ride:
    Sun EZ-3 SX
    Name:
    Chuck
    /I have a SUN SX-3 trike and have changed the triple 30/42/52 crankset with a 22/32/42 crankset because I never use the large 52T chainring, but would like to be able to use lower gears for the hills in my area.

Before I replace the crankset I was not having any problems shifting gears. I knew I would need to adjust my front derailer with the smaller crankset. First I moved the height closer to the chainring, Since the high and low limits were good with the old crankset I did not touch the limits, the limits looked like they should work.

By changing the derailer height i figured I would have to adjust the cable tension to get it to shift properly but I have not been able to get the shift adjustment correct yet, Can anyone give me ideas on how to fix this.

Do I also need to change my chain length?
    Do I need to change my high/low limits?

Any help would be appreciated

Chuck

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I assume you mean you lowered the cage down, so it's now closer to your biggest chainring which is now a 42t. If so that sounds right, but depending on how your cable is routed & tensioned you may need to pull some more out of the cable sheath and reset the end-stop for it. Do you have any pics of your front derailleur? If so, we could probably see the cable routing better than what is show on the Sun website.

Well you have lost 10 teeth on the big end, so I'd shift down to your smallest chainring and the smallest cog on the rear cassette to see how it looks. How much slack do you see? If your chain is no longer pretty straight (between the idler and your gears), but instead appears to be drooping somewhat, then yes you may need to pickup a chain breaker and take several links out to keep it from jumping off the idler occasionally.(i.e. most likely to happen when you're on the smallest chainring and the smallest cog on your rear cassette)

3. Rah58

Rah58

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knox
    Ride:
    Trident trike
    Do you still have your old triple crank