1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Front Boom Crank Stripped

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by explanger, Jul 30, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    Help, I have been having shifting problems and decided I probably need to bring my 1999 Vision VR45 in to get tuned up. Had to bring in to a new bike shop. Mechanic looked at it and pointed out a major issue. It appears that the front axle where it screws into the nose boom has been stripped. It is moving freely in left/right. I have no idea how this could have happened. I must have been totally oblivious to the bikes situation as I was riding mostly flat routes the last 6 months.
    Does anyone have any ideas? The mechanic is busy and won't have a chance to take it apart for a closer look until Wed.
    Attached is a picture of the nose boom, you can see the threads on the axle next to the gears where they should screw into the nose boom exposed. I can push the axle left to insert the threads then right as it appears that the holes are stripped.
    Suggestions appreciated.

2. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name:
    Irv
    Les,
    Need photos! I have a bunch of Vision parts, frames, booms, etc. Photos needed!
    Irv

3. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    Irv, hope you can see the attached. I'm not real mechanically inclined, I was hoping that maybe the two ends of the shaft tighten together no to the boom, but have to wait to hear from the mechanic Wednesday. Only the screw end is showing in the picture. This is what the mechanic showed me.
    Lester

Vr45_Nose_Boom-Crank_problem_073016.jpg

4. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name:
    Irv
    Did the race just back out or is it really stripped?

5. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    Quick look when I dropped it off at the Bike Shop, he said it was stripped because he could slide it left/right . But then I was thinking are the screws just on the Bottom Bracket. I will know when he has a chance to look at it on Wednesday. I will check with you after he let's me know. I kind of was in shock when he showed me it and said it was stripped, I didn't pay closer attention. If the BB somehow got stripped, is there spare parts available anywhere for that?

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yes Bottom Brackets are readily available, but my guess is it's just worked loose. The threads in both the boom and the BB are quite tough and I find it hard to imagine anyone stripping them out without the use of a good sized cheater-bar.

HINT: You might want to ask the mechanic to use a drop of loc-tite when he reassembles it, to insure it doesn't work loose again. :wink9:

7. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    I got my bike back from the shop, they cannot help me. The front boom has stripped. The BB-6500 is fine. Does anyone have a solution or a spare front Boom that will fit a VR45?

8. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    picture of the stripped front boom. discoloration area is stripped.

20160803_192741_Stripped_Boom.jpg

9. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name:
    Irv
    Let me know the outside diameter, the length of the boom, length of the derailleur tube and from the center of the cranks to the main frame and I will look and see what I have.
    Irv

10. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    Such a small portion of a several threads. Might be worth trying to clean up the damage by running a tap thru. I'd check with an auto mechanic.

11. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    If an automechanic doesn't have a tap of this size, a local machine shop might? :idunno: I'm assuming it's the area in between the blue arrowtips that has been stripped?

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 11.11.42 AMa.jpg

The first thing that comes to my mind, is buy the absolute best BB available and try some JB Weld.

While JB Weld is more permanent, depending on how loosely the BB fits into the boom one could also try something as simple as wrapping the threads (of the BB) in black electrician's tape to take up the 'gap' of the (now missing) crests of the boom's threads.

12. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    Irv, here are the dimensions I came up with . I am not sure what you meant for the center of crank to main frame, I measured from center of crank to the start of the main frame tube.

Outside Diameter - 5 3/4 "

Length of Boom - 11 7/8" (corrected from picture text, as seen, the ruler is not straight 12" was at an angle. but I don't think this 1/8 in is of concern)

Length of derailer Tube - 6 3/8"

From center of crank to main frame - 4 3/4"

Thanks in advance.
    Lester

20160804_boom_length_v1.jpg

13. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name:
    Irv
    The boom that I have is 10 3/4" from the crank center to the end, derailleur tube is 7" and the diameter on the main tube is 1.87" measured as shown in the photo, the arrows. Let me know the size of the main tube at the arrows. If this one will not work, I have a friend that might have it as he bought a lot of parts from Vision when they went under. Let me know and I can check with him.
    Irv boom_zpsmucut9qp.jpg

14. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    Sorry for my measuring confusion, the circumference at that point is 5 3/4" around the outside, the Diameter is 1 5/8"

20160804_Boom_Diameter.jpg

15. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name: