1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Embed a GPX (GPS Exchange Format) File in your posts

Discussion in 'XenForo: How-To' started by A.D., Jun 17, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    GPX (or GPS Exchange Format) is an XML schema designed as a common GPS data format for software applications. It can be used to describe waypoints, tracks, and routes. The format is open and can be used without the need to pay license fees. Location data (and optionally elevation, time, and other information) is stored in tags and can be interchanged between GPS devices and software.

So GPX files can be used to show a particular ride or route you've ridden and recorded with your GPS. :heelclick:

All you have to do is upload your GPX file and save the post, the board here will take care of the rest as seen below.

Note: The board will automatically embed a BB Code into your message, such as…
    Code:
    [GPX=463840;10]GPX Viewer[/GPX]
    The number 463840 is the attachment number and the number 10 is the zoom level. 'After' you have saved your message and the BB Code is created, you can go back and EDIT it to revise the default Zoom of 10 to any value from 1 to 17.​

If you click-on the GPX Viewer button, then Google Maps will use the GPX data to rebuild the route and show it via a satellite view on a new page. If you click-on the GPX filename itself, you can download the GPX file.

The only real Challenge involved, can be getting the GPX file to upload it. Since there are several ways to do so, I'll post some examples of just how to do so as replies below.

Attached Files:

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    If your ride has been uploaded to Strava, just go to the activity and scroll down the page until you can see the map. In the upper-righthand corner you'll see a download GPX button…
    Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 11.09.49 PM.jpg
    You can simply click-on it and you will download the GPX file.(i.e. Evening_Ride.gpx) Then if you want, you can rename the file to something more memorable.(i.e. MoDaYearblahblah.gpx -or- 06172016My_Fast_Ride.gpx)

As noted above in the opening post, then just choose Upload a File and Create Thread!
    (or Post Reply when replying to an existing thread.:wink9:)

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    If you have a Garmin GPS and still use the Garmin Training Center program, you can choose to Export your ride.

Just select a particular ride, then choose File/Export from the top of the screen to see…

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 11.38.22 PM.jpg

Be sure and choose the GPX format (which is not the default) and denote where the file is being saved to.

Once again, just upload the gpx file and save your message.

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Another popular program to save ride data, is rubiTrack.

While the information screens are somewhat different, if you just select your activity then choose File/Export from the top of the screen you will see…

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 12.00.38 AM.jpg

Once again just type-in a filename of your choice, select the GPX Format and denote where the file is being exported to.

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    A Strava Support webpage indicates this is how to extract your GPX data from the Garmin Connect website (as of Feb 2016), and even Garmin Connect's How-To webpage indicates…
    1. On a computer, log into your Garmin Connect account.
    2. Use the left-hand toolbar to navigate to your "Activities" page.
    3. Click on the activity that you need to export.
    4. Use the gear icon in the upper-right corner to view your export options.
    Garmin_Connect 4.png Garmin_Connect.png Garmin_Connect 2.png

:confused: However 'I' cannot get this method to work, as Garmin Connect seems to have removed Any/All Export options from their modern interface. :embarrassed9:
    Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 12.51.08 AM.jpg

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    On the RideWithGPS website, just select the RIDES link and then choose the ride you want to export. At the top left of the map you'll see several icons and links, one being the gpx track link to download the GPX file…

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 1.11.05 AM.jpg

7. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    WOW AD!!! You are a wealth of knowledge. I am going to try that with today's ride!

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    It's not just me, in fact Garmin has removed the option of exporting your own data to a GPX file.

However, I did turn up a webpage (Export GPX file from a Garmin Connect Course) that does have a work-around, but it is a bit involved and some may find it convoluted. :lost-it:

9. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    This technique is pretty fast & easy though for 'courses'…:thumbsup:

How to Export and Save a Route or Track from Garmin Connect

Download gpx, tcx, fit, json, or gpolyline from the Garmin Connect Website

You can view routes and tracks online at Garmin's connect website, but it is not obvious how you download a copy. Here's how to do it.

Look at the URL or web address of the Garmin Connect webpage. It should look something like this:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/3220309

(This particular route is the Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon, but use whichever one you want.)

The part of the URL that you need is the string of numbers at the end, 3220309 in this case.

Swap the numbers out for the course you want into the links below to download the file.

JSON: http://connect.garmin.com/proxy/course-service-1.0/json/course/3220309
    FIT: http://connect.garmin.com/proxy/course-service-1.0/fit/course/3220309
    TCX: http://connect.garmin.com/proxy/course-service-1.0/tcx/course/3220309
    GPOLYLINE: http://connect.garmin.com/proxy/course-service-1.0/gpolyline/course/3220309
    GPX: http://connect.garmin.com/proxy/course-service-1.0/gpx/course/3220309

UPDATE June 2015: The exported data may lose elevation and other details. This seems to be a wider issue with Garmin Connect exports. See this thread for more details:https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?229674-Exporting-data-to-tcx-or-gpx-NO-elevation-data

Source: http://skangerland.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-to-export-and-save-route-or-track.html

10. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I tried this but all I got are errors. I'll just post my garmin link if anyone wants to see it.

11. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yeah, I think the method in post #9 only works for 'courses' (i.e. you need the course #, not an activity #) so you first have to save your ride as a course then it should be able to generate a GPX file alright.