1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dashcam captures shocking collision

Discussion in 'Videos' started by NewsBot, Feb 23, 2016.  |  Print Topic

?

Who do you see as being at fault?

1. The Cyclist.

2. The Van Driver.

3. Both of them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot

Dashcam captures shocking collision
    Cycling Weekly
    Dashcam footage has captured the moment a young woman collides with a van on a main road in Withington, Manchester England.

The footage shows a woman on a bike cycling along in the segregated bike lane as the traffic lights ahead of her turn green.

At the same time as she attempts to cycle straight across the junction, the van turns left and the two collide, with the woman falling to the floor. The woman, who appears unhurt, gets up and indicates to the driver to reverse so she can retrieve her bike.

The incident...

Continue reading...

2. maxairedale

maxairedale

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    KY
    City:
    Columbia
    Ride:
    ICE Adventure HD FS
    Name:
    Gary
    I said both but there are design factors that lead to the crash.

Both because
    • It appears that the cyclist was not watching traffic and may have been traveling too fast.
    • The van did not have its turn signal on, which could have warned the cyclists. The motorist most likely did not look to see if someone was on his/her left.
    The design of the segregated bike lane lead to the left-hook. Putting cyclists to left of left turn lanes (right of right turn lanes in the USA) makes motorist forget that someone maybe coming alongside their vehicle. Because the motorist does not think about someone passing on the side they are turning towards (normally not common) they don't look to see if someone is there.
    :stirringthepot:

Gary

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Well said. :applause:

I thought it was the fault of the cyclist, since the Van had the green light -and- the cyclist was f-l-y-i-n-g. I was thinking, if I was the Van driver and checked my left mirror I'm not sure I would have seen the cyclist. One he was moving so fast, and two he might have been in the Van's blind spot.

Plus, I'm still Old School when it comes to crosswalks in today's society of Texting cellphone idiots. So only 'after' I look both ways, do I proceed and then I :outtahere:.

4. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    After much thought, I say it's the van driver's fault. The reasoning is, the bike lane is a separate traffic lane and the van must yield right-of-way before turning across it. Just like yielding to pedestrians in a crosswalk or on the sidewalk when turning into a driveway. The cyclist had the right-of-way in her lane. Was the van driver really getting ready to leave the scene?

5. Creaky

Creaky

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    England (UK)
    City:
    Yeovil
    Ride:
    KMX Cobra
    I agree with Blazing Pedals. Having said that, the design of this junction is such that this is an accident waiting to happen. Any cyclist in a marked and dedicated lane, going straight ahead, is going to assume they have right of way in this situation. I don't think it's very likely they could even see the van's indicators.