1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Communicating - Methods to do so!

Discussion in 'XenForo: How-To' started by A.D., Dec 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    XenForo supports three different ways of communicating with other members here. They are:

1)Post in a public Thread - Simply start a new Thread, on the subject of your choice.
    Realize that this is a public post and all members, as well as guests (i.e. non-members) will be able to view it.

To start a new thread, just click on the Post New Thread button in the upper righthand corner of any forum…(i.e. Recumbent Discussions, Sale or Trade, etc.)
    Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 10.43.53 PM.jpg
    Or there is also a Post New Thread located at the very bottom of the screen as well…
    Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 10.47.16 PM.jpg

1a)One can also just Reply to any ongoing thread. To reply to a thread, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and you'll find the Quick Reply box. It looks similar to this, however you will see your own avatar to the left of the Editor Text box…
    Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 10.40.39 PM.jpg

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    2)Start a Conversation - Conversations are similar to vBulletin's Personal Messages.(i.e. PM's) However, they have the advantage of of being threaded. Realize, Conversations are private and viewable only by the other member(s) within that Conversation.

By that I mean, if I start a Conversation with Rocketmantn we can continue that single Conversation over the course of days, months or even years. Our Conversation doesn't have to be about any particular topic, but instead can vary over time from current event to new current event. However, if we just talk back and forth in that single established Conversation either of us can always go back and see what each of us has said in the past very easily. So that's the real advantage of a Conversation.

To start a Conversation with any other member(s) here, just simply click on their username-link beneath their avatar (or you can click 'on' their avatar) in any post that they have made…(i.e. Rocketmantn below)
    Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 10.38.13 PM.jpg

When you do so, you'll see this screen next…
    Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 11.05.56 PM.jpg

From there, you just click on the Start a Conversation link. The next screen you see, then allows you to type in up to five total participants for that new Conversation
    Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 11.09.38 PM.jpg
    Also since you are starting a Conversation, you can always invite other members 'into' that Conversation later on…at anytime. You can even pass that 'invite' privilege onto others in your established Conversation if you want to.

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    One of the nice features of XenForo, is it will automatically Alert a user to any new Posts made to a Thread they are watching.(i.e. following, or subscribed to) You'll see this type of notification at the top of your screen on the righthand side…

Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 11.47.49 PM.jpg

If you are online when a new post is made, you'll see the small red Alert box instantly. If you're offline, XenForo will save any Alerts and present them to you the next time you login. :thumbsup: