1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do I Quote someone else's post, when I'm replying?

Discussion in 'XenForo: How-To' started by A.D., Dec 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Whenever you respond to another post in a thread, if you simply hit Reply, XenForo (XF) will start your message w/o quoting anything.

However using your mouse, if you choose to highlight the text you wish to QUOTE, then you will see a small option box appear stating Quote Me! Like this…

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 4.26.06 PM.jpg

If you click the Quote-Me! box, it will automatically add the selected text into the reply box at the bottom of the page along with a reference to where the quoted text originally appeared at.

XF will start off your reply by putting the selected text in between a couple of markers reading: [ QUOTE ] and [ /QUOTE ], like this…

[ quote="A.D., post: 1234, member: 1" ]and other screenshots.[ /quote ]​

All you need to do then, is simply type in your reply (beneath the quoted text) in the editor box at the bottom of your screen.

Typically, when people respond to a message they don't QUOTE it, unless it's several posts back up within the thread from the last POST that has been made. So if a thread had 10 replies and you wanted to respond to the 3rd post in it, you might opt to select some of that text to begin your reply.

Now if in that same thread, what if you wanted to respond to 2 different peoples individual POSTs? That's simple enough, just highlight another bit of text that you want to respond to and click on the small Quote Me! box once again. It will place your second bit of quoted text, right into the message editor box beneath the text you quoted earlier.

The Quote-Me! button works similar to the Clipboard feature on your computer. When you click on it, XF will copy the information of that post and deposit it right into the message editor box.

So if you click on the Quote-Me! button after highlighting some text in reply #2, then in reply #3 and finally in reply #5 XF will have pasted ALL those individual blocks of text into the editor for you!

2. Offroad’bent

Offroad’bent

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    Caledon
    Ride:
    Thundervolt Kodiak
    Is there a way to do this in Safari on iOS?

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Not that I’m aware of offhand. I just exited Reader View and copied your text, then used the QUOTE button (ie lined paper icon) in the msg editor and pasted it in.
    280DD7D0-7211-4951-A5D1-86C8F2D6C1F1.jpeg

4. Offroad’bent

Offroad’bent

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    Caledon
    Ride:
    Thundervolt Kodiak
    Like this? That works for me.
    Thanks

A.D. likes this.
  5. iambent

iambent

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Maryville
    Ride:
    Stratus 700
    Name:
    John
    I love the highlight quote feature. It makes it really easy if you just want to quote one sentence from a long post.

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yes, one of the reasons we went this route was folks would quote an entire (long) post, when only a tiny fraction actually needed to be quoted.