1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

>>>READ: What's going on with the (at) symbol on this board?

Discussion in 'Board Issues/News' started by A.D., Dec 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    You may have noticed that whenever you try to type in an at.jpg symbol within your posts, that it is simply replaced by the asterisk.(i.e. *)

The reason for that is the at.jpg symbol is a censored character on the forum, simply to help insure members don't post their own (or worse yet, reveal other's private) email addresses to the public.

Wherever and whenever email addresses appear on the world wide web, Email Harvesting Robots are quick to spider the pages for any/all email addresses they can obtain for nefarious purposes.

As such, long ago we decided to simply disallow publically exposed email addresses on the forum and instituted the censoring of the at.jpg symbol.

It's simple enough to just type in your email address (which is then rendered as myname*myhost.com for public display) and most folks can figure out what that email address is, whereas robots do not so easily see it as such. :wink9:

2. trivekrider

trivekrider

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Perth
    Ride:
    Trivek
    Name:
    Alan
    Thanks A.D., Makes a lot of sense. I would like to make a donation to your forum since you have been so helpful . I have to figure out how to do that with my online bank account. As I have said before I am not very good with computers.

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Thanxx Alan, at present we take donations via PayPal. I haven't really looked into other payment systems (i.e. Authorize.Net, BitPay, OnePAY, Stripe, etc.) since I've never had any requests for such.