1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has your private information been compromised in a Data Breach?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by A.D., Dec 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Top 10 Data Breaches
    152,445,165 - Adobe accounts
    30,811,934 - Ashley Madison accounts
    13,545,468 - 000webhost accounts
    4,833,678 - VTech accounts
    4,821,262 - mail.ru Dump accounts
    4,789,599 - Bitcoin Security Forum Gmail Dump accounts
    4,609,615 - Snapchat accounts
    4,483,605 - Money Bookers accounts
    3,867,997 - Adult Friend Finder accounts
    3,619,948 - Neteller accounts
    See All Data Breaches

What is the website all about?
    The Have I Been Pwned?* site came about after what to date, remains the largest ever single breach of customer accounts — Adobe. I often did post-breach analysis of user credentials and kept finding the same accounts exposed over and over again, often with the same passwords which then put the victims at further risk of their other accounts being compromised.

The FAQs page goes into a lot more detail, but all the data on this site comes from publicly leaked "breaches" or in other words, personal account data that has been illegally accessed then released into the public domain. Have I been pwned? aggregates it and makes it readily searchable.

*Pwned-to conquer, to gain ownership.

2. Odd Man Out

Odd Man Out

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Portland
    Ride:
    homebuilt
    Name:
    Brent
    Yup

I served on active duty in the Army for 26 years in Military Intel. Every 5 years I had to undergo an extensive background check for my clearance. I retired in 2003.
    Last month I got a letter from the "Office of Personnel Management", the human resources department of the U.S. Government. In if they told me that my records were one of MANY that were hacked by the Chinese -- that my personal info to include Bday, SSN, etc were found on the "Dark Web"...
    They offered me 3 years of free credit monitoring service which I took advantage of -- the only thing is I do believe I will need this for the rest of my life. Thankfully I'm 62 so it won't be that huge amount of time. :biggrin9:

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Hey Brent,
    I know how you feel, because I just got my letter in the mail yesterday. I wasn't in the Military, but worked for Tennessee Valley Authority for years at a nuclear plant.

Three things that came to mind regarding this:

1)Why the government went with myIDcare? A company I've never heard of and in the August 2015 article entitled:

"Seeking Identity Protection? Read This Review First"​

they were not even reviewed...in fact, the reviewer had never even heard of them before...

Kae,
    What about myIDcare.? Any insights?

Hi Kae,

We did not research myIdcare, but we will consider them in our next audit. Thanks for bringing them to our attention!

Paul​
    2)Now that (yet) another company has my information, how secure is their database? :eek9:

3)Why is the 2nd (or even 3rd!) OPM Breach not even listed on the See All Data Breaches webpage?

P.S.
    I was kind of surprised to see that LifeLock only made 3rd place in the review.

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    The government's official response...
    What happened in the background investigation records incident?
    ◦ 
Earlier this year, OPM discovered malicious cyber activity on their network. It was later determined that the activity resulted in the theft of background investigation records of current, former, and prospective Federal employees and contractors from OPM’s systems. OPM and the interagency incident response team have concluded with high confidence that sensitive information, including the Social Security Numbers (SSNs) of 21.5 million individuals, was stolen from the background investigation databases. OPM has partnered with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to investigate and determine the full impact to Federal personnel. Federal law enforcement agencies continue to investigate the matter and assist with remediation efforts.

What is MyIDCare?
    ◦ 
MyIDCare is the brand name of ID Experts’ identity-monitoring product being offered to you if you were impacted by the background investigation records incident.​

And now for the rest of the story…
    A Timeline of Government Data Breaches
    After it was revealed in June that two large-scale hacks at the Office of Personnel Management resulted in the theft of millions of employee personnel files and sensitive security-clearance information, members of Congress called a series of committee hearings to get to the bottom of the events that led to the hacks.

Those hearings landed recently resigned OPM Director Katherine Archuleta in the hot seat, where she was grilled for her handling of the agency’s data security and IT practices in the leadup to the breaches. In one heated exchange last month, Sen. John McCain struck out at Archuleta for withholding information about the breaches, and for not herself meeting with the FBI after the hack occurred. Just one day before, House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz accused Archuleta of lying outright about...​

*-Don't miss the minor detail, that government employee data was stored non-encrypted. :swoon:

5. Guntrainer

Guntrainer

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Nashville
    Ride:
    Catrike 700
    Name:
    John
    I was a Federally licensed firearms dealer for nearly 30 years. Guess what Agency got hacked this spring? The Fed has ALL your info. They are giving me free fraud protection. Geez Louise!.

6. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    What do you mean the feds have all the info? Were they the ones who did the hacking? Dont they get that info anytime a background check is performed?

7. Guntrainer

Guntrainer

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Nashville
    Ride:
    Catrike 700
    Name:
    John
    For a Private Person getting a background check, the info is purged daily, under Federal law. A licensee has all vital info permanently stored on BATFE computers, which share with other govt' agencies, such as Dept' of Veteran Affairs, IRS, etc.

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Out of curiosity, was it a company called...

myidcare_logo.png

I ask because when myIDcare was offered to me for FREE, I was surprised (if not somewhat suspicious) when I could only turn up so little information about them and the fact they didn't even exist before 2012. :mmm:

The Good
    • Preferred Government Contractor
    • 13 Years In Business
    • Covers 9 Types Of Identity Theft
    • $1 Million Insurance Amount
    The Bad
    • Only Available Through Participating Businesses
    • Does Not Provide Analytical System
    NOTE: IDExperts owns myIDCare. See Customer Reviews here.​

9. Guntrainer

Guntrainer

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Nashville
    Ride:
    Catrike 700
    Name:
    John
    That's them. The Fed even has my digital fingerprints.

10. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD