1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** BOARD UPGRADE NOTICE ***

Discussion in 'Board Issues/News' started by A.D., Nov 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Short version - NOTICE: We will be upgrading our forum software over the next week or so.

Long version - We are currently running vBulletin v3.8, which entered End-Of-Life status back in January of 2010. End-Of-Life status for software, means that updates are only issued for identified bugs and security fixes. Thus no new coding takes place after the End-Of-Life, in order to add new features and/or interfaces to the software.

For some time now, we have been busy researching what was best for RRI in the future. Some things were simple, like what data we collect and why.

For instance, COPPA requires websites to validate users are a minimum of 13 years old, before collecting, using or disclosing personal information from a child. As such the operators of a website must obtain verifiable parental consent from the child's parent, or otherwise be faced with a fine of up to $16,000 per child that the FTC can levy upon non-compliant website operators. The easiest way to do this, is simply require a DOB upon registration and have the software place new underage users into a moderated status, until the parent consent can be obtained.

Other things, like what features newer technology offers and which ones seem to be more popular with users, took a bit more studying. Things like being able to easily use RRI while on a cellphone or tablet, register with RRI via other existing online accounts (i.e. Facebook, etc.), keep spammers off the board, or even attach pictures to a post by simply dragging a photo from your desktop into a new thread.

In short, we have attempted to retain as many virtues of the board as possible, while also incorporating some new features we think most members will be pleased with. :thumbsup:

We have been working behind the scenes on upgrading the website for sometime now, and are pleased to report our first experiment went fairly well. We identified some issues and managed to resolve them, so we think that the revamping process will go fairly smooth.

This will take some time though, since there is a lot of data and many changes to be made to the website. At times, you may find the forums open for viewing only (i.e. No NEW threads or posts can be made.) -or- simply closed for maintenance, while we are doing some of the more intensive work. :construction:

Our intent is to keep most all of the data we presently have (i.e. Forums, Threads, Users, Pictures, PMs, etc.), while adding some long overdue features to the board. :thumbsup:

Once the upgrade is completed, feel free to report any problems in a separate thread here and we'll work to resolve any issues that arise.

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :update:
    While it doesn't LOOK like much has gone on over the previous week, I can assure you that MUCH has been accomplished. :heelclick:

I can't yet give a date as to when I'll flip-the-switch on the new site, but I can say:
    1)I have solved more problems in the past week :lost-it:

2)We're closer than we've ever been :wink9:

3)I hope to have things fixed-up soon :construction:

4)When you see the new site, I think you'll be :D

:listen:
    Oh yeah I almost forgot,

I have f-i-n-a-l-l-y :computer2: gotten the Main Entance (i.e. Content Management & Portal System) coding successfully removed.

As such, www.recumbentriders.org now redirects to the Main Forums webpage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.