1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AD Does it Again!!!

Discussion in 'XenForo: How-To' started by Rocketmantn, Dec 9, 2008.  |  Print Topic

1. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I just have to brag on AD. If you don't know, this board is the partnership between myself and AD Wade. I am kind of the "front man" while AD slaves away in the background. Though you might see me more on the boards, without ADs guidance and efforts, this board WOULD NOT EXIST!!!

Security and controlling backups were two of the reasons we went off Yahoo Groups and to this web based board. AD has just installed and got working a program that will automatically backup our ENTIRE database every night, compress the file and put it in a rolling 7 days backup file. (Dave, are you drolling now!!!) WOW. So now we have daily automatic backups, instead of AD having to do it manually when he has the time.

This board would not be happening with AD's time and experience. My kudos to AD!!! :goodjob:

2. laidback cyclist

laidback cyclist Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    OK
    City:
    Broken Arrow
    Ride:
    Ti Rush/V-Rex
    Name:
    Mike
    Mine as well. Thanks A.D.

3. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    great job A.D.

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    ha, ha, and now for the r-e-s-t of the story...:rolleyes9:

Over the past year I had tried twice before :banghead: to automate the backups for the board, but failed. It's not just me, many other vBulletin SysOps could not perfect the process either. :computer:

Yet, there were a select few :bow: who seemed to have the alignment of the stars behind them or something, that had managed to get it to work...with enough effort. :construction:

After reading thru a 42page thread (mostly of complaints to the coder, since it's so difficult to get working) this past weekend, I managed to decipher what all wasn't working right and finally got 'the stars to align'...so to speak. :wink9:

Anyway learned a lot :read: in the process, and now I don't have to fret over knocking folks off the board in order to make a manual backup each week. The new method allows us to back the data up, without shutting the forums down.:D So that's certainly good news!

Anyway, just wanted to say how much I appreciate each and every person's posting throughout the forums here, because it's YOU-ALL that really make this a worthwhile online community and a fun place to hang out. :applause:

5. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    AD is waaaay too modest. (Those who know him know that is True!!!)

Here he is on a VBulleton board talking about getting this to work and thanking people for their insight. I only understand about 10% of it!!!

Here is the link to get an idea of the complexity of this whole process if you care to read it and find out about the "back room" mechanics of our boards.

http://tinyurl.com/57aanx

AD Hope you don't mind me sharing this.

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Don't mind at all, but if by chance any of our users read it and it doesn't seem like Greek :confused9: to ya...let me know! I'd be interested in conversing with them to better understand some of the finer points of things like SQL, PHP, Perl, and/or even vB itself. :jiggy9:

7. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    I know it's not Greek cuz I recognize the letters. Instead it looks like a lot of bad typing to me. I deal with computer "experts" every day and fully appreciate the high level that ya'll work at. Thanks A.D. for all the hard work. And, no, Jon I'm not drooling. But I am relieved that the entire thing won't vanish into The Ether.

Dave

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Well I've always tried to back the whole board up at least once-a-week since we started up, so we would have never lost more than a couple of days of posts at the most. My main problem was being on dialup from home it would take hours & hours to D/L all the files, so I would usually try to back it up from work or Jo's house since she's on cable. Anyway, we're in better shape now should something ever go awry in the future.

9. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
    Don't know about all that. Even if AD couldn't read or write
    and do all those electrical engine-ear things, I'd like him just
    fine. His mommy and daddy tought him to be a nice person.
    We can all take a lesson from Mr. AD Wade.