1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chain lube What are you using?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by mx5bike, Aug 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. mx5bike

mx5bike

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Cochran
    Ride:
    bacchetta
    Name:
    Dave
    I know this is one of those subjects that has a lot of great answers. As recumbent riders we tend to have more chain than the average so keeping it in shape makes good cents. The man who got me started riding on the dark side also got me using paraffin wax on my chain. It seems to work well for us. It lasts about a month and once you develop a system it goes on easy. I don't get chain leg or greasy hands if I have to handle the chain. But I would like to hear what more experienced riders are using I'm not to old (yet) to learn.

Dave :confused9:

2. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    White Lightning Clean Ride. Can only say after over 30,000 miles I have never broken a chain in mid ride.

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I grew up using paraffin wax on my motorbike chains and it always worked pretty well…until mom caught me using one of her cooking pans to melt the paraffin wax in. :eek9: She didn't mind the paraffin wax too bad, but the (dirty) motorbike chain in her pan was a bit much. :smack:

But since I didn't want to strip all the oil off my bicycle's chain, I decided to try ProGold ProLink Chain Lube w/Metal Friction Reducer Technology. So far I've been happy with it, but it does get greasy.

4. maxairedale

maxairedale

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    KY
    City:
    Columbia
    Ride:
    ICE Adventure HD FS
    Name:
    Gary
    I currently use a mix of paraffin, bees wax and graphite.
    1 part bees wax to 4 parts paraffin and about 2 tsp of graphite. I came up with the mix based on what I read online. I'm not sure if the graphite helps since it is heavy compared to the hot wax and wants to sink to the bottom.

Wax does not attract dirt like oil does. I can grab the chain and have a clean hand. Furthermore the dirt that oil attracts is what causes the wear of the chain and related parts on the bike.

I heat the mix in a small slow cooker. When hot, I lower the chain into it. I let the chain soak for about 15 minutes (most likely does not need that long, but while it is in the slow cooker I will do something else for example another cup of coffee) and then pull it out and then dip it back in. If there are not any air bubbles when I put the chain back in I pull it out and let the hot wax drip back into the slow cooker. When the chain is cool enough to handle I reinstall it on the bike/trike making sure that I have the chain orientated the same way it came off.

I do this about every 500 miles. I have read about others waiting until the chain starts to make noise (not sure what type of noise, maybe a squeak) around 650 miles or so.

Yes it is more work then squirting oil out of a bottle onto the chain, but at this time it works for me.

Of course I can't take the slow cooker with me when I tour (well I could) so after the first 500 miles or so I will use White Lightning Clean Ride or something from the White Lightning product line.

As I said above this works for me, but maybe its not for you. I just present this as another option.

Gary

5. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I must like dirty chains because I use T 9 Boeshield. Boeing developed this for their airplane cables.

[​IMG]

6. mx5bike

mx5bike

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Cochran
    Ride:
    bacchetta
    Name:
    Dave
    thanks for the input. I like the wax method as I clean the bike while the wax is melting. I do have slightly different results in the winter as the wax flakes off more. Not gettIng all greasy is the big plus for me.

Dave :confused9:

7. Magicman

Magicman

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    NC
    City:
    Burnsville
    Ride:
    Bacchetta CA 2.0
    Name:
    Jim
    You might want to try this.

30 years ago I did the wax & loved it . Now I found this product & really love it. To apply you need to get the chain really wet & as per instructions & really wipe it off. Before & after every ride I wipe the chain off using a paper towel. What I get is really smooth shifting - a quiet chain & a clean chain . I did a lot of research & found this on Amazon.

Rock N Roll Gold Lube

by Rock N Roll

141 customer reviews

Price: $21.19 & FREE Shipping

Color: One Color

Size: 16 oz

• All-purpose lube for mountain or road bikes
    • Cleans and lubricates simultaneously
    • The legendary smoothness and quietness of this lube just went to a new level
    • Makes drive-trains look like they just came out of the box

8. yakmurph

yakmurph

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Hixson
    Ride:
    Cruzbike
    Name:
    Steve
    True Grit

Grit bad.

Keep chain, cogs, chain tubes, guides, pulleys, derailleurs and anything else
    that's close to your chain: Clean.

Rust pits the metal and pits hold grit.
    Keep rust from forming.

That's all.
    How you go about this is your choice.

As a mechanic, I feel free to ignore my own advice.

You're welcome.

9. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I like your Frankenstein speak version on chain maintenance. I can understand it!!! :laugh:

10. mollyzdad

mollyzdad

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    CT
    City:
    West Hartford
    Ride:
    Goldrush
    Name:
    Bob
    I agree with yakmurph.
    I find that my chain stays the cleanest by not using ANY chain lube at all. I learned about this approach from a guy who has ridden tens of thousands of miles and is a top wrench as well. He rode cross country on a chain without any lube, and then compared it to the chain he had used (the prior 4,000 mile chain) and they were identical.

When I get a new chain I soak it in WD40 overnight, then clean it out real good the next day and dry it. Then I put it on my bike and after about 100 miles wipe it clean with a cloth as the WD40 is seeping out by then. I'll put a bit of WD40 (with cloth) after the chain gets wet. Also did that after my recent 2 weeks at Cape Cod.

It seems to me that when I use this approach my chain stays clean....nothing sticks to it.....of if so an easy wipe of the cloth takes care of it.

The chain works/looks/sounds great...no problemas and no chain tattoos.
    Now I KNOW that by bringing this up folks will disagree....which if fine and fun to compare approaches. Sometimes when I share this approach, some folks go ballistic. Interestingly, a graduate program studying human powered machines at Johns Hopkins University studied the bike chain and found no benefit to lubing a chain. Kinda interesting....

My GR is very happy having a naked chain....
    This my first post after quite awhile. Nice to see you all.
    Bob

11. Magicman

Magicman

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    NC
    City:
    Burnsville
    Ride:
    Bacchetta CA 2.0
    Name:
    Jim
    I've tried various kinds but love -

Rock N Roll Gold Lube

by Rock N Roll

As I've mentioned above - you can get it at Amazon.
    Clean - Quiet - Smooth Shifting .
    I wipe my chain off with a paper towel after each ride to keep it clean.

12. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Indeed! I once asked my dad about how much energy was lost in a chain driven vehicle, such as a bicycle or motorcycle. He replied that one measure of energy loss, was what was given off/up in heat. Next he asked me how often I'd found a bicycle-chain hot to the touch? :wink9:

With or without lube, there is very little energy loss and I would imagine the difference between the two to be negligible.

slitespd likes this.
  13. maddriver

maddriver

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    TX
    City:
    Houston
    Ride:
    Gold Rush
    Name:
    Alex
    Nice thread. I found many good tips for the chain.

14. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
    Marvel Mystery Oil

One of our old timers uses Marvel Mystery Oil. It works, but the chain must be wiped often to obtain best results (each ride).

15. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    Based on Magicman's advice, I tried the Rock and Roll Gold lube over my trusty T-9 which I have used for the last 7 years. I think both brands lube well, but I have a clean chain with Rock and Roll whereas my T-9 was always black and grimy which would get on my hands and clothing.

So you have a convert. Thanks for the advice!!! I'm a Rock and Roll Gold man now!! Got it off Amazon like you said.

A couple of side stories. I took my Strada to our Florida condo we bought in January. Where ever my bent goes, so does some primary bike stuff like lube. It is right on the Gulf of Mexico so it gets a lot of salt spray. And as you know, salt spray and metal don't get along! One door to the porch was really hard to work and I used my Rock and Roll Gold on the door closing mechanism and lock. Works like new now. Also used it on my bike rack which folds up. Folding it up was taking a lot more effort. A little Gold and it is a breeze. Have a separate shared storage space at the condo. The lock on the entry door was really hard to work. A little Gold love solved that problem too! Love this stuff!!! And I don't have to worry about black grease marks which is the big PLUS!!!