1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice Needed: Will This Rear Shock Work? (to replace Cane Creek AD-5)

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by MontanaVision, Aug 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MontanaVision

MontanaVision

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    MT
    Ride:
    Vision R-44
    Name:
    Charlie
    Wanted: Help with Rear Suspension for Vision R-44 (Cane Creek AD-5)

Hello All, I am new to this forum. I've been riding recumbents since 1994. I recently upgraded from a Vision R-40 to a Vision R-44. It is a great ride, but the rear suspension shock (Crane Cane Creek AD-5) is shot. The local bike shop did the rebuild kit and extra work and said it will not function. Crane Creek echoed that thought. I have found no replacement shocks for sale and all the big recumbent dealers have told me they are no longer made. So I'd like to buy someone's used shock or I'd gladly take your advice if there is another option. It seems to me that I'll have to sell the bike for parts if I can't get the shock which is really sad commentary on planned obsolescence. Here are the specs. Thanks for all and any help!
    Charlie from Montana

Crane Cane Creek Ad-5 Shock
    5 1/2" X 1" (140mmX 25mm)
    mounting (top) 38mm
    mounting (bottom) 28mm
    shock stoke 35mm
    8mm bolt top/bottom
    eyelet 1/2" and 1/2" (12.7mm)

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Hey Charlie,
    It's a Cane Creek shock, not a Crane Creek. If you've been searching for the latter, try the former wording.

Secondly, have you seen this thread: Service Tip for all Cane Creek rear shock owners.

Did the LBS say why it wouldn't function? If not, my very first thought is whoever rebuilt it may not have been totally knowledgeable about doing so. Unless the shock is physically bent or the housing has cracked, it's almost always the seals that just wear out from what I understand. You said Cane Creek echoed the though it was a total failure, but has a Cane Creek Service Center seen your shock?

And while not ideal, you could probably swap it out for a cheaper spring unit...understanding it wouldn't be nearly as smooth of a ride though. (see next post)

Also, eBay and/or Craigslist may be another place to source one over time.(i.e. Cane Creek Rear Shock or CL Cane Creek AD-5)
    Also, don't rule out finding an entire bike with an AD-5 shock for a bargain price.(i.e. Bike-E, etc.)​

Worse case, as you wouldn't get much for it, doesn't Cane Creek still have their trade-in program?

Lastly, I realize the cheapest/easiest fix is to procure an identical (working) shock, but in case that route doesn't pan-out I'm just thinking of what else you might do. :wink9:

Attached Files:

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I did just notice on the Bicycle Man website, that the Maxarya Ray 1 bike lists a Cane Creek AD-5 in the original specs, but they seem to have since changed over to a: Rear shock DNM MM-22 coil, oil, gas filled.

4. MontanaVision

MontanaVision

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    MT
    Ride:
    Vision R-44
    Name:
    Charlie
    Cane Creek Shock

A.D., Thanks for the thorough follow-up. I did search for it as "Cane Creek", just a misspelling in the last e-mail. My LBS did contact Cane Creek and he told me they couldn't help him. I should check back with him to see if it is unfixable or if he just isn't able to fix it. I'd tried the e-bay angle to no avail, but hadn't tried craigslist. I got a couple of hits on that, but the folks had already sold the part...so I'll try that in the future. The coil shock you mention isn't readily available on the Internet, but I probably just need to did a little deeper. As for the buying a cheaper recumbent (Bike-E) with Cane Creek shock option, I'll have to ponder that. I bought my R-44 for $300 last year and have already sunk $350 into it trying to get it perfect. As you can see, I am one shock short of perfect. Do you think if I actually get a hold of a Cane Creek AD-5 shock that it will last me some years (even with a rebuild)? Maybe that's just the leap I need to take. I guess I could always part the bike out at some later time...but I'd hate to do that. Anyhow, I did get back on my R-40 this afternoon and it felt functional, albeit a little rough. Onward! Thanks for the help, I'll report back to let you know how it goes. Charlie in Montana

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Cane Creek makes some great products, that's why I'm a bit puzzled as to why your's can't be rebuilt. Regardless if/when you get a working shock they do tend to last quite awhile, usually only needed an occasional rebuilt of the seals.

And by the way, check this one out on eBay: DNM TORCH MM-22AR 155 mm Mountain Bike Rear Shock 550 Lb NEW
    right now.

6. MontanaVision

MontanaVision

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    MT
    Ride:
    Vision R-44
    Name:
    Charlie
    A.D., thanks for the reply. My Cane Creek AD-5 is 140mm (5 1/2"). Will the 155mm coil shock you sent me the link work although it's size is a bit different. Thanks, Charlie

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    That I do not know for certain. Since it's 15mm longer at rest, you'd need to unbolt your present Cane Creek shock and then move the frame so the shock bolts are 155mm apart. That is how your bike would be at rest. Just from looking at pictures of the frame online and it's rough dimensions, I would guess that a shock 15mm longer would push the rear tire down towards the ground about 30mm, or 1.18" so it would roughly raise your seat height by 1/2" or so. That is assuming a replacement spring shock is adjusted so tightly that when you get on the bike, it does not squat any. If the pre-load could be adjusted soft enough to squat 15mm upon your sitting on the bike, it should ride at the same height as your Cane Creek if it does not presently squat any when you sit on the bike.

From looking at the spring shock on eBay, there is a good amount of pre-load adjustment so my thoughts are you would be able to back the adjuster off until the spring shock sags some at rest, or at least under partial load. Maybe not the whole 15mm, but perhaps 5 or 10mm? :idunno:

It also looks to have a rubber bumper inside the coil spring to to protect the shock from ever bottoming out and bending the main shaft. On dirt bikes (MTB or motor) that's much more of a possibility with the 'jumps' involved, however on a recumbent street bike my thought is you'd never bottom the shock out anyway. As such, one way to gain a bit more travel when the shock is semi-compressed would be to cut the rubber away if you ever needed to.

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Another option might be an FDR Tough Shock. EasyRacer used these shocks on their EZ-Rider AX suspended bikes (now out of production, pic attached) and my girlfriend has one. I just looked and it's 6" c-to-c (152mm) of the bolt-eyelets.

Of course absolute worse case, you could have a welding shop fabricate a spacer the length of the Cane Creek shock and bolt it back in it's place.(i.e. barstock w/bolt eyelets welded to each end) You would no longer have a bike with suspension, but it would be ride-able/useable.(i.e. hardtail)

unbentEZ%20Rider.jpg

9. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name:
    Irv
    I have a Vision R50 with a Cane Creek AD5 shock that I just rebuilt. Disassembled, cleaned and inspected and then replaced all o'rings aired it up and all is well. Maybe both Cane Creek and your LBS do not wish to tackle it due to its age or the LBS doesn't have anyone that can work on it. As long as the surfaces where the o'rings and the seal ring are in good shape, it should not be a big deal to repair it.

10. MontanaVision

MontanaVision

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    MT
    Ride:
    Vision R-44
    Name:
    Charlie
    Looking for Cane Creek AD-5 shock

Hi, I'm looking to outfit my 2003 Vision R44 with a Cane Creek AD-5 shock. I can rebuild it if it's not in great shape; here are the specs. Thanks!

Cane Creek Ad-5 Shock
    5 1/2" X 1" (140mmX 25mm)
    mounting (top) 38mm
    mounting (bottom) 28mm
    shock stoke 35mm
    8mm bolt top/bottom
    eyelet 1/2" and 1/2" (12.7mm)

11. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
  12. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
  13. MontanaVision

MontanaVision

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    MT
    Ride:
    Vision R-44
    Name:
    Charlie
    Hello Dedicated Recumbent Advisors, I have posted a few times (see here and here) trying to figure out how to find a replacement for my Vision R-44 rear shock. I came across this on eBay and wanted to see if folks think it would work. Thanks a ton for your consistently solid advice!

You can track it down on eBay with this search...thanks.

Rock shox Deluxe Rear Shock 140mm 5.5 inch

14. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

Man, it looks like you've nailed it on eBay! The auction doesn't state the diameter of the shock or the eyelet size, but it looks reasonable…and at that price it's certainly worth a try. :congrats: