1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chain Maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by Rocketmantn, Dec 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I took both my Bacchettas in for tune ups and modification two weeks ago. My Strada is only 2 years old and my Corsa is 1 year old. I had a list of things I wanted done to them. The biggest was converting the Corsa fixed handlebar to a flip it type. I just like the set up better.

On the Strada I wanted new tires and tubes. New foam for my seat. Then I asked to check my chain. I was shocked to find out my 2 year old chain on the Strada was SHOT!!! I have about 3,500 miles on it. And a worn out chain can break and wear out your chain rings and cogs. So I had that replaced too.

Moral of story, have your chain checked next time you tune up your bent. You can buy a gauge to check for chain stretch.

7239.jpg

Click here

Here is a YouTube about checking for chain wear. Notice at the end of the video, if your chain is wore too much, then you really have an expensive repair as the chain rings and cogs would need to be replaced also. Much cheaper to change the chain when it needs it!!!

I hate to think about my V Rex which is 5 years old, do all my trail riding on and have NEVER replaced the chain. After Christmas I am going to get one of those gauges!!!

Then you can clean & oil the chain.

And then if you have to replace your chain here is a video to show you how easy it is to do that also.

And I think that just about wraps up anything to do with your chain.

2. Aushiker

Aushiker

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Fremantle
    Ride:
    LoGo P-38
    Name:
    Andrew
    Personally I wouldn't use one of those Park Tool measurement tools as they are very very conservative in their readings.

I paid out the dollars for a decent tool and have found my chains are lasting three to four times longer before needing to be changed and I am not getting any noticeable increase in wear with the clusters.

I have the Shimano tool, the TL-CN41 which is not cheap but I am pretty sure I have seen another brand more recently which is the same design and less money; maybe it was a BBB tool but not sure.

[​IMG]

This page on the subject is well worth a serious read.

Andrew

3. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    Chains don't stretch, at least not like a piece of rubber or fabric. The pin holes elongate over time and wear. This allows the normal 1/2" length between adjacent pins (or 1" between link-pairs) to lengthen. Not necessary to have an expensive measuring tool. Simply measure the length of 12 links-pairs. If 1/16" or more than 12", it's time to replace it.

A chain that didn't last more than 3,500 miles sounds like something more basic is going on. I replaced the original chain on my Rocket at over 17,000 miles. My Corsa has over 6,000 miles on its chain and almost no measurable wear. Same for my Catrike 700, but it has less than 2,500 miles on it.

Rules: keep it lubed and crud wiped off. No WD-40, motor oil, or cheap crap. I use White Lightning Clean Ride. Your results may vary.

4. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
    Too much crud

Once got a Catrike in here that would not shift right. Took the chain off and while it was soaking in solvent, I cleaned the drive train. Had to take my pocket knife to get the dried crud off all the derailleur wheels etc. After that, it changed gears perfectly with no other adjustments needed.

There are lots of chain threads. I lifted this from BROL.

[​IMG]

5. Aushiker

Aushiker

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Fremantle
    Ride:
    LoGo P-38
    Name:
    Andrew
    I have heard this suggested a lot but I am curious, do you do this with the chain on the bike or do you have to remove the chain to ensure it is stretched properly?

Andrew

6. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mtwnrocket [​IMG]
    Not necessary to have an expensive measuring tool. Simply measure the length of 12 links-pairs. If 1/16" or more than 12", it's time to replace it.

I have heard this suggested a lot but I am curious, do you do this with the chain on the bike or do you have to remove the chain to ensure it is stretched properly?

Leave the chain in place. Use a stiff measuring tape or even a solid ruler. Pull out about 14" of tape, place it under a length of chain, and lift it slightly with the side of the tape (support the chain with the tape). The edge keeps the chain straight.

7. Aushiker

Aushiker

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Fremantle
    Ride:
    LoGo P-38
    Name:
    Andrew
    Might give it a go if I remember the conversion to metric :)

Andrew

8. maxairedale

maxairedale

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    KY
    City:
    Columbia
    Ride:
    ICE Adventure HD FS
    Name: