1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Newbie with questions considering a Vision Bike in CA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by explanger, Sep 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    Am new to the board and have had some good reading so far. Does anyone know the difference between Vision models? Specifically, I am considering a VR45 - SWB USS. When I look up info, I see mostly "R" designation less "VR" designation for their models. Anyone know what the VR means? Also, how to test the Cane Creek AD5 Air Shock and "gotchas" to lookout for ? Thanks

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :welcome7: aboard Les! I could be mistaken, but I thought the VR designation was for the titanium version of their bikes, along with upgraded components as well.

Also, I noticed our AutoLink for Vision was to an expired website, so I've relinked it to the original website via WayBackMachine now. So perusing their old website may provide some more insights to their product line.

As for the Cane Creek shock, you're looking for leaking air and/or oil. Most of the time, when there is an air leak it's coming from a worn main seal. Personally, given the age of any AD5 shock nowadays I would just count on rebuilding one.(i.e. Figure that into your purchase price of the bike, in order to get/keep it ride-able.) Three of the most common problems are:

1. You inflate shock to your preferred operating pressure, but the pressure gradually drops. Duh! You’ve got a leak. 99% of the time, this is caused by a worn main seal. (put the inflated shock under water to see where the leaks are coming from just to make sure).

2. Shock holds it’s pressure just fine when not riding, but gradually loses pressure when riding. This is also caused by a worn main seal, however it may not be worn enough to leak all the time. In this case, each time the shock extends after compression, a small amount of air is lost. The best way to check for this condition is to inflate the shock (removed from the bike) with just enough pressure to enable compressing it by hand (usually under 10 psi). Place the shock under water and check for leaks (there usually won’t be any in this condition). Compress the shock by hand under water and release. Look carefully for escaping air as the shock extends.

3. Shock holds pressure just fine in all conditions, but tops out harshly and excessively, and may also seem to stick or “catch” at the beginning of its travel, sacrificing plushness (may need a bigger bump or hit than normal to get suspension working). In this case, you’ve got a worn SECONDARY seal. The purpose of this O-ring is to separate and seal off the positive air chamber (this is what supports the bike & rider, & provides the “spring”) from the negative air chamber (counteracts the positive chamber at the beginning of the stroke for more plushness, and also effectively creates a “top out bumber” or cushion). When this seal is worn, it can’t do its job essentially eliminating the negative chamber. Those of you who have used RockShox or Marzocchi products with a “Dual Air” or Negative Air” feature will understand what the purpose of a negative air chamber is. Nearly every air shock design uses this, but only a few of them are advertised with this feature, and only a few are designed so that the negative & positive pressures are independently adjustable. Cane Creek shocks (also Fox float) are designed so that a predetermined ratio of air pressure (about 30% neg./70% pos.) is automatically distributed within the shock upon inflation.

In either of these three cases, the obvious fix is to replace the affected (worn) O-rings, which is very simple..
    ..continued

3. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    inspection pending

thanks for the helpful info. I have a meeting with the seller pending and hope I can get a bent with suspension to upgrade from my Speedster soon.

4. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name:
    Irv
    I have bought and sold many Visions, and currently own 2-R40’s, an R50 and various Vision parts. The “V” in VR45 stands for Vision and the “R” is for recumbent. Here is a breakdown for some of the models:
    R-40AU-SWB USS 2” steel frame, steel boom
    R-40AT-SWB OSS 2” steel frame, steel boom
    R-40BU-LWB USS 2” steel frame, steel boom
    R-40BT-LWB OSS 2” steel frame, steel boom
    R-42AU-SWB USS 1.75” steel frame, Aluminum Boom
    R-42AT-SWB OSS 1.75” Steel frame, Aluminum Boom
    R-42BU-LWB USS 1.75” Steel frame, Aluminium Boom
    R-42BT-LWB OSS 1.75” Steel frame, Aluminum Boom
    R-45AU-SWB USS 1.75” Steel frame, Aluminum Boom
    R-45AT-SWB OSS 1.75” Steel frame, Aluminum Boom
    Note: All R-45’s were SWB only and were built to order.
    You will have to call and request a Manual from Cane Creek as there web site is messed up.

5. explanger

explanger

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    San Ramon
    Ride:
    Vision R45
    Name:
    Les
    With moderate use, how does suspension hold up over time

Thanks for the details. You own 2 40s and a 50, are any suspended? How much mileage have you put on these and how has the suspension held up?

6. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name:
    Irv
    The R50 is full suspension with a Cane Creek AD12 rear shock and a Ballistic suspension fork. I just purchased the 2002, R-50 and only have about 30 miles on it. The later model Vision bikes are longer wheelbase and handle better than the early short wb models. On all of the R-40 series models that I have bought, rebuilt and sold, I have increased the fork offset to makeup for the shorter wheelbase. Here is one of my finished R-40’s: [​IMG]

7. Ohio_Bent

Ohio_Bent

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OH
    City:
    Toledo
    Ride:
    2003 Vision R40
    Name:
    Chris
    Irv, what seat is that you have on that bike, and what's the reason you're using it instead of the regular Vision seat?

I love Vision USS bikes. I've had 3. My first bike was an R-40 from '97 or '98 (the ones with the black forks). I believe it had a 37" wheelbase. The next year they redesigned it slightly and increased the wheelbase to 40" so I bought one of those and sold my first one. Kept that one for several years but when they went out of business I was able to get one of the final versions of their frames for really cheap (the ones with the completely straight main tube). I moved all the components from my 2nd one to the new frame and I still have it to this day.

I think the guy who designed the Vision must have been my size, because I've never been on a recumbent more comfortable than a Vision. It just fits me perfectly.

8. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name:
    Irv
    The seat is a FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) and was used, as I wanted to try a hard shell seat on the Vision and I have a stack of them. I felt that the seat allowed more power to reach the pedals and provided better upper body support. The original Vision seat is a little weak in strength at the back of the seat. I have repaired dozens of Vision seats due to breakage of the top seat tubes. I’m currently looking into manufacturing an updated Vision style seat as I feel the mesh seats that are available are way too expensive. The comfort level with the seat pad was close to the stock Vision seat. Did not compare weight difference but was not much. With the mounts that were made, the FRP seat allowed for more adjustment than the stock seat but was not really needed. I agree with you regarding fit and comfort!

9. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    There was also an R-30, which was a compact LWB with a 20" rear wheel. Wasn't there also an R-44, which was all aluminum?

R45s were discontinued sometime before the company folded - possibly a design problem?

10. Ohio_Bent

Ohio_Bent

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OH
    City:
    Toledo
    Ride:
    2003 Vision R40
    Name:
    Chris
    And an R-32.

11. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    Nice looking bike, Irv. Where in Oregon are you?

12. IrvJamison

IrvJamison

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Beaverton
    Ride:
    Visions,KMX
    Name:
    Irv
    Vision never made an Aluminum frame bike, only the boom. The R-40’s used 2” frame tubing where the R-42-R-45 had 1.75” frame tubing and flexed more. The r-40 sold better and by dropping the R-42-R-45 they reduced material costs. The R60 series, the R64, R65 and R68 was also known as the “Saber” was a different frame, used 571 wheels and was OSS only. The Saber was the bases for the Volae bikes. The R-50’s had front and rear suspension and had a longer wheelbase than the R-40’s. The R-80's were tandem bikes. Attached are some photos of other Vision models, CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO SHOW MODEL. I live in Beaverton, Oregon

http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/IrvJamison/library/Vision Models

13. Ohio_Bent

Ohio_Bent

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OH
    City:
    Toledo
    Ride:
    2003 Vision R40
    Name:
    Chris
    I've never seen an R-10 before. That boom looks like it's a mile long.