1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3144 miles from Boston to Phoenix

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by biketoaustralia, May 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. biketoaustralia

biketoaustralia

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Hutchinson
    Ride:
    Vision
    Name:
    Ari
    Hi, I am riding my Vision R40 with a fully loaded T-Cycle Cargo Monster 3,144 miles as the Google Maps bicycle rides. I am riding through these zip codes: 02790 (my home), 44319 (not through Canada), 60188 (visit Mom), 63953 (visit sister), 85201 (my POB near Phoenix). I am relocating in the Phoenix area.

Do you want to meet and talk or ride with me? I am BikeTo Australia (two words) on Facebook.

BikeToAustralia is one word on the internet.

bjjoondo likes this.
  2. biketoaustralia

biketoaustralia

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Hutchinson
    Ride:
    Vision
    Name:
    Ari
    I have 3 posts to go before I can post my picture.

3. biketoaustralia

biketoaustralia

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Hutchinson
    Ride:
    Vision
    Name:
    Ari
    Make that 2

4. biketoaustralia

biketoaustralia

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Hutchinson
    Ride:
    Vision
    Name:
    Ari
  5. biketoaustralia

biketoaustralia

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Hutchinson
    Ride:
    Vision
    Name:
    Ari
    Let us pray...

6. biketoaustralia

biketoaustralia

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Hutchinson
    Ride:
    Vision
    Name:
    Ari
  7. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Wow, you are definitely loaded. This must be the year or touring. I hosted via Warm Showers, a rider last night and after she leaves today, I have a guy coming in this afternoon. Pretty cool.

bjjoondo likes this.
  8. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    Wow! I hope you have HD rims and wheel sets. I know the bent frame can hold the weight.

Just think of all the memories you are about to make!!!

I have never done that but I hitch hiked through a lot of Africa and the stories I could tell. You will have just as many or more stories to tell I am sure.

Enjoy the journey and BE SAFE!!! Lot's of crazy drivers out there.

And keep us posted here at RRI. We love to follow people's adventures. Makes us all feel like we are riding with you instead of being stuck working!!!!

9. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Just plugging in the Zipcodes Ari listed above, Mapquest indicates the following (rough) route...

[​IMG]

So you'll have a better idea if he may be traveling through your neck of the Woods! :jiggy9:

10. biketoaustralia

biketoaustralia

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Hutchinson
    Ride:
    Vision
    Name:
    Ari
    Serenity, unemployment on the rise means some of us have free time. That is why I think more people are touring.

Rocketman in Tennessee, My rear rim is a Halo SAS 48 spoke (thicker spokes at that) with a Marathon Plus tire on it, as tough as I could hope for. I did a lot of hoping. :) And, I was given the wheel set (minus the tire) by a Datona Beach man that had no use for it. He said it sat in a puddle of water for a year before I came along. Africa, yes the memories you must have, I hope someday I will too.

A.D. :) mine looks just like yours. But that is just a plan, reality unfolds in unexpected ways..[​IMG]

11. Odd Man Out

Odd Man Out

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Portland
    Ride:
    homebuilt
    Name:
    Brent
    The D to E leg looks mighty hot -- be sure to carry mucho water!

12. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
    Where are you Now?

How do you manage electronics, reporting etc.? Got me all stirred up.
    Gave me an idea to tour from State Park to State Park here in East TN.
    I'm bored with group rides. I'm going to pull a trailer behind a Lightfoot
    Greenway. I'm not stealing your thread. You are an inspiration of gigantic
    proportions. I've driven across this country at least 20 times in my 74
    years and my advice would be to keep a daily check on storm activity
    and think storm shelter.

Please up-date often.

13. biketoaustralia

biketoaustralia

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Hutchinson
    Ride:
    Vision
    Name:
    Ari
    Steal away Buddy, no harm done or intended. :)

Where I am is in Auburn, MA. 4 - 5 days out and only got this far. Rain for a day and night was a drag. My waterproof stuff was soaked and my fancy new raincoat is a turncoat. The hills I was sent on through Douglas, MA are taking their toll. There is no good way to push a recumbent uphill, especially a 180+ pound recumbent. I am planning to take a bus to the flatlands, probably Indiana.

Electronics; almost everywhere has free WIFI and free electricity nearby. I recommend getting a smartphone if you do not have one. It can convert your talking into typing then you proofread and correct errors.

I do not have a smartphone, I type. :/

I have also reorganized my packs a couple times in the past few days and dried out all the wet stuff after the rain. That took time too.

14. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Ari,
    Sounds like you've had a rough start, but hopefully things will get better as you acclimate to being on the road.

Just one suggestion, I'd WRAP whatever you want to be waterproof in garbage bags to avoid another drenched-fiasco. And if your bike/gear is 180 pounds dry, no tellin' what it is when it's all wet. :hissyfit9:

15. biketoaustralia

biketoaustralia

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Hutchinson
    Ride:
    Vision
    Name:
    Ari
    The yellow Arkel bags are water resistant, inside them are thin, wal-mart water resistant bags (the colorful cloth ones). my backpack is water resistant inside a cloth bag with a waterproof plastic wal-mart bag inside the backpack and a neoprene laptop bag with my laptop inside that! Cannot be to careful about the laptop. :)

Oh, a tip for all of you: I made a waterproof wallet holster. I used a section of off-road motorcycle inner tube, folded in half, with one end sewn shut and then secured to keep it folded shut. I putt my wallet inside the tube, fold the tube over and secure it. Voilà.
    6434.jpg

jakemedic, bjjoondo and jankdc like this.