1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2012 SMOKY MTN. RECUMBENT RALLY (SMRR)

Discussion in 'Rides, Routes and Events' started by Geyatautsilvsgi, Sep 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Well, it was brought up and talked about a little bit but so far nothing much has become of it. So after much discussion, Willie and I as owners of Edge Engineering, Inc. manufacturer of Edge Brand Recumbents and U-Man Power Recumbent Bike Shop, have decided to have a rally this spring after Mother's Day, it will be for 4 days.Thur May 17-SUN May 20. We're calling it the Smoky Mtn. Recumbent Rally. It is not your usual Rally I guess. We will reveal some of our new products,:mask: have some test rides:bike:, have some organized ride:listen: , some door prizes, other events & things to do as well as having plenty of time for yourself and your family to tour and check out the lovely town of Townsend. Information regarding lodging, restaurants, registration and other details will be announced as they unfold. Yeah, this is about 8 months ahead of time, but time flies when you are having fun. Plus this gives folks plenty of time to decide whether they can come or not. So PLAN AHEAD and save the date for this special event. We hope to see many of you :grouphug:there!

You can indicate here if you would like to come or not, but if you do intend to come, please do not forget: register on Active.com.

And further more, if you are interested in being a volunteer to help out please visit: SMRR VolunteerSpot to see where we could use some helping-hands! :wink9:

2. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
    Keila, Think on these things: When you have "recumbent" rally, that is quite
    limiting. One with a recumbent may be less likely to purchase than one who
    doesn't, but has been watching and thinking. When you start hearing questions,
    like "how long have you ridden a recumbent", that may be a spark. How about
    something like "Old Timers Bike Rally", all cyclist welcome including recumbemts.

3. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Thanks for the comments but I don't like the terms "Old Timers" that in itself is a way to steer people clear or give off the impression that only "old people" ride recumbents. I might consider something else but end it with ...including traditional bicycle riders. Keep in mind we are a recumbent manufacturer not a DF manufacturer and the gathering is primarily a party mainly for recumbent riders...the other guys (DF riders) are welcome if they want to come.

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Buddy has a good point, just not sure what 'syntax' might work best. Considering most folks who already ride a recumbent, would not be as interested in trying-out and/or purchasing such at the rally it makes me wonder what percentage of DF riders might, if given the chance to try one out?

I guess it's all about the main purpose of the gathering. If you're interested in more sales & leads, probably better to make non-recumbent riders feel very welcome and included. If it's more about recumbent-camaraderie (than sales), then probably better to bias the gathering to cater to such riders so as to catch/hold their interests.(i.e. recumbent games, etc.)

And one other comment...If I were traveling for a 4 day rally, I would expect something on the agenda each day.(i.e. just "one organized ride"?) Perhaps a Meet-n-Eat day, or a game day, an organized ride to a nearby point of interest, a ride from Cades Cove back down into Townsend, test-rides at the shop perhaps, etc.

5. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, if it is going to cause a hub bub. I have an agenda for each day. The only day that that is no set agenda is Saturday. That day is a free day, for everyone to do what they want to do i.e. with their families or with other riders. That evening is dinner and prize night. I am not out to generate sales as the MAIN attraction. Just to let everyone know what we're up to as a company & shop. If I wanted to generate sales and leads I'd be in California at Recumbent Cycle Con in the next few weeks as well as in Las Vegas at Interbike. This is NOT a trade show, just a little show and tell and a "hey everybody lets party on down in the mountains" Also keep in mind, it is 8 months away and I don't have ALL the details worked out just yet. It will be advertised, so bent riders/DF riders are both welcome. As a recumbent manufacturer the invite is going to recumbent riders first. That is why I am posting it here.

6. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    Keila,

Thanks for taking the lead on this. I don't have a problem using "recumbent rally" in the name.

I put this on my calendar. Let me know if I can help.

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I understand. One thing that would interest me (from an outsider's point of view) is to learn more about the EDGE Company. Seems like it'd make a great subject for some behind the scenes show & tell with some human interest stories sprinkled in. :wink9:

8. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Thanks Jon, I'd be happy to have your help...A.D. , the human interetst story is a good idea. I think I know of a few people who I can get to tell their story. I can breathe easy now that things are a little more clarified.

Everyone who is interested and plans on coming will have to register though and that will of course get you a very nice U-MAN POWER T-Shirt.

I am making out a tentative schedule for each day and once I get things solidified I will post it here and then people can know the scoop and decide what they want to do etc. I think it will be fun.

9. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Well I recall Bill mentioning (at one time) somebody was sewing your seats together, and that made me think of it. Folks usually feel better about spending :money: on something, when they realize some of it goes to help people like themselves. From an outsider's perspective, it would just be interesting to learn some of the things that make EDGE tick, behind the scenes...so to say. :wink9:

10. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    Working on getting there. I'm going to put in for the time off and hopefully my wife will also be coming. If she comes, I will be bring TWO trikes as she is the owner of a beautiful purple Catrike 700.

11. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    That would be nice... and purple is a good color:biggrin9:...

12. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    :jiggy9: Great!!!! Can't wait to ride with you!!!

13. froglegz57

froglegz57 Supporter

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    NC
    City:
    Charlotte
    Ride:
    Rans V2,V3,AB
    Name:
    Jerry
    It sounds like a great time. I will see what I can do from this side of the mountains. It will probably be a family outing for us so 2 trikes, a LWB and a SWB.

Let me know if there is anything specific I can do. Has this been passed along on BROL? Loads of Atlanta and SC folk over there.

Jerry

14. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    I have not posted to BROL yet, I am still working on some details and want to post here before I post anywhere else.

15. bakrauf

bakrauf

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    IN
    City:
    Strasburg
    Ride:
    Corsa/Goldrush
    Name:
    Brian
    Are you going to have Daily Rides? I think this is the best part of going anywhere, riding as a pack or Rabid Recumbents!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.