1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recumbent Butt

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by Rocketmantn, Mar 2, 2007.  |  Print Topic

1. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    First of all, I must tell you I am a loyal trike rider. I bought my Wiz Wheelz 3 years ago and have 3,500 miles on it and counting. I LOVE :yes9: my trike. The learning curve is low, it is next to impossible to fall over, and it is just FUN to ride!!!

I bought HellBent (my V-Rex) at Christmas. I have had to do a lot of modifications to get it to work for me, but I am close to perfecting it.

I have been riding Hellbent, because I want to get all the bugs out of it by summer. I have had it to the shop twice now. Today was a BEAUTIFUL day. Hellbent was in the shop, so I took my trike out for a 15 mile ride.

Funny thing happened. :yes9: The trike I love so dearly started giving me recumbent butt. :o_O9: I have not had recumbent butt since I started riding my trike. I rode 250 in a week on the KATY trail and no recumbent butt. So you can appreciate when I rode my trike today and my butt hurt, I was really surprised!!! :yes9: I couldn't figure out why I hurt. Then I realized I had been riding my V-Rex for the last two weeks and I got used to the RANS seat.

WOW! :confused9: Can you imagine my confusion??? I must say though I thought you couldn't do better than my mess trike seat, the RANS seat maybe superior.

When you are a recumbent rider, a main reason for going "bent" is comfort. In the recumbent position, your neck, back, shoulders, wrists, and feet are comfy. Really the only pain you will feel is your butt or legs/knees (from working too hard.) So imagine my surprise when I had recumbent butt today!!! :eek9:

So here is my question to you, by riding recumbent, what body parts are happy :biggrin9: and what body parts are sad :mad9: . And finally, what seat do you like the most??? Post your answers here! I am eager to see what others think. :yes9:

2. laidback cyclist

laidback cyclist Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    OK
    City:
    Broken Arrow
    Ride:
    Ti Rush/V-Rex
    Name:
    Mike
    Jon,

The Rans seat hasn't earned the reputation as the most comfortable 'bent seat for nothing. There are adapters to fit it to many different bikes including Easy Racers. That said the Rans seat can be more or less comfortable depending on the pad used and the recline angle. The more reclined the more comfortable, up to a point.

As for what's happy, everything. What's sad, my legs when they start cramping.

Mike

3. FeetFirstFella

FeetFirstFella

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    VRex, Corsa, V3
    Name:
    Don
    Yes, you've found the Holy Grail of recumbent seats in the RANS seat. Lotsa folks put a RANS seat on other bikes, and they're highly prized as marketable items on other boards. They do have their limitations though, and some folks get recumbent butt even on the RANS seat. They made some mods a couple years back to fix some of the problems people were having with the seat pan and the pad. But they're still regarded as the best out there.

Quite frankly, every trike I've ridden I've noticed the seat which didn't seem to fit me right. It's I think just the nature of the beast, with different manufacturers and different adjustability. Everyone has to tinker with their equipment some to personalize it, that's just a part of the game.

Regarding happy and sad body parts, another inherent issue with recumbents is numb toes/feet. Usually it's due a relatively high Bottom Bracket height vs. seat height, but some people get it and some don't. A contributing factor may just be the physiology of the individual rider. I've not had that problem on the V-Rex, but then it has a pretty moderate BB for a SWB recumbent. I've ridden some highracers before that I've felt would be a good candidate for numb toes. Art in Chattanooga (who loves high BBs) maintains it's a function of the tightness of shoes. May be a contributor, but folks who ride in sandals also have the problem. I think you either have it or you don't.

Also, I tend to get foot cramps more on my recumbents than on an upright, but I'm not sure that's directly related to the recumbent position so much as diet prior to the ride. It hasn't been a big issue.

Surprisingly, one thing I have noticed, and especially during/after an intense recumbent ride, is a bit of neck/shoulder soreness. If I'm riding hard, I tend to tense my neck and shoulder muscles, and have to remember to relax. It's hard to hammer without doing that. But it's still much less severe than the different kind of neck and shoulder issues I have when riding an upright!!

Don

4. Yazoo Blue

Yazoo Blue

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    MS
    City:
    Hazlehurst
    Ride:
    RANS
    Name:
    Larry
    I tend to tense my neck, too, Don.

Speaking of Art, he called me the other day...

...all the way from Australia. I had left a message on his answering machine in Chattanooga, somehow he retrieved it. He'll be back in a couple of weeks, he's visiting family over there. He says he can go anywhere in Canberra on his mountain bike over there.

When he gets back, I'm going to buy the special pedals from him. I know I'm wasting a lot of energy on my pedals, even though I have the ones with the strap across the top.

Cool runnings,
    Larry

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Nothing wrong with PowerGrips as they're a great compromise, especially to begin with. I started out with 'em and my only complaint was (no having a set of riding shoes) when I switched shoes often the thickness of them would be different, and thus the straps (left un-readjusted) would be a little tight or a little loose. But once you've gotten some confidence with PowerGrips, going to clipless pedals is a very natural progression. Plus, I guess one of the benefits was that forced me to wear the same shoes each ride. That alone cleared up some other occassional problems from wearing different shoes a lot.

As for Jon's observation, I'm still surprised from reading it. I know on Jo's Catrike ROAD I've never felt any (numb) recumbent-butt before.

As far as seats go, on the tandem we've got the Zephyr and there are two or three different seat pans & pads available. Art doesn't care much for it because he says it's so narrow his shoulderblades rub the outer seat back frame. As for me, I don't guess my shoulders are that w-i-d-e because I've never felt the outer seat back frame.

I've done short rides down at Art's with the standard RANS seat on some of his bikes, but I can't really comment on them since I lack any rides of sufficient length/intensity to honestly evaluate them.

As for our Zephyr seats, they feel fine to me. Only things I've noticed is the more vertical you set them: 1)The chances of the seat slipping back are greater, 2)The odds you will have some recumbent butt before the day's over are higher. Number 1 is most probably due to me wanting to mash (vs. spin) back when I started riding recumbents, while number 2 I might have experienced once or twice after being on the tandem for hours w/o ever stopping.(i.e. out for the exercise)

As far as the most comfortable seat :biggrin: , to me it's the M5...by far. It fits me just alike a glove, or laying in a sling. No pressure points, no hot spots, just pure bliss whereby you can pedal all day and never have a 2nd thought about your backside. Except for my back sweating in the summer months, it's the closest thing to perfect I've found.

As for sad body parts, only thing I've ever noticed was after a full-day in the saddle (in FL last year) my legs would be exhausted from pedaling so much. And even then, my very first choice for some rest (and continued comfort) was a recumbent hammock. :wink9:

6. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I want to add, after the Florida ride, Buddy and AD came up to meet me for the Tour de Georgia race. When I met them at the camp ground, AD was fast asleep in his hammock. He looked VERY COMFORTABLE in it.