1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Various Homebuilt Recumbents...

Discussion in 'Homebuilt and Modifications' started by Freth, Jan 23, 2008.  |  Print Topic

1. Freth

Freth

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    AL
    City:
    Newton
    Ride:
    Sun EZ Cruiser
    Name:
    Royal
    OK! It seems that Firefox web browser for some reason wasn't letting me write new threads (the only thing I can think of), because Safari is allowing me to make this post ... as a new thread. :laugh9:

You have probably noticed from my replies to other posts --- that I have built several recumbents.

It all got started when I saw that SWB in Mother Earth News ... or Rodale Press or something like that ... back in the 1970's. Not being able to afford to buy a recumbent (and being moderately handy with tools) I started by building two LWB and one SWB BenTech models.

I rode them alot along the bike path from Malibu to Palos Verdes, CA. It turned out that the SWB made from muffler pipe, EMT, and a thrift store Huffy MTB was my favorite bike to grab and ride.

Having made those, I proceeded to make a TE Clone. It was okay. But I have never really ridden it a lot.

Then I built a custom lowracer LWB with the help of Jack & Smitty at S&B Recumbents. That's the one that I used to terrorize the skinny-wheel racers out on the bike path.

There was a Lighting P-38 with a fairing and bodysock that was the absolute terror ... nobody could beat it. The skinny-wheel guys would be going full out and would then hear the Lightning go "click-click" (just dropped 2 more gears) and walk away from them.

Anyway, that lowracer was the one I used to run circles around a buddy of mine (on a Diamond Frame) when we took a little 98 mile ride from L.A. (Lower Alabama) to Panama City Beach, FL.

In the move to Alabama, I had to get rid of the Bentechs ... so I needed another SWB. I bought a Mongoose fully suspended BMX bike at WalMart and turned it into a SWB recumbent. The customers at S&B would ask Jack what that was ... and he'd tell them, "That's another one of Royal's wild projects."

Anyway, A.D. Carson has a nice Mach2 design ... and I welded up 2 of them. Then I got a fantastic price on a EZ-Cruiser SWB ... when set up and used properly, it is a really great bent to ride.

So, I only have 6 recumbents sitting around outside the house. And I am accumulating the materials to make a couple of DeltaWolf trikes ... in between driving truck long hauls.

SO, I am down here in SE Alabama ... the only guy in my town with a recumbent ... and I'm still too competitive ... taking on a guy on his expensive Mountain Bike ... along with his diamond frame friends. And the grandkids want me to build a bent that they can ride ... :cool9:

2. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Re: Firefox

Freth, it must be a setting on your computer that is messing you up with Firefox. I switched to Firefox a year or so ago and have not had any problems at all. I un-installed and/or deleted anything and everything that had Internet explorer attached to it. It could also be your firewall or your antivirus software.

On another note, William has it in the back of his mind to build himself a DeltaWolf as well. He built our SWB off the Bentech plans too. I love my bike and will hate to set it aside when I get my new one manufactured. Oh well, I'll still ride it when I can.

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

Freth is running FireFox on a Macintosh computer, so his build of it may be slightly different than what you're using Keila. But good to know it's not a problem with the board not functioning. I try to keep all the pages on the board XHTML 1.0 certified so we won't have problems like this, but at times we have had some errors occur that caused problems.

4. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi

Well, hope he gets it fixed that way he can chime in on the gabbing that is going on.:D

5. LeakyDuck

LeakyDuck Email Defunct

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Palmdale
    Ride:
    Sofrider
    Name:
    Darby

I'm running Firefox on a Mac and have no problems with the board.

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

I'm viewing the board w/FIREFOX now, and on a MAC (Mini) to boot. :wink9: Next I guess I'll try starting a NEW thread to see how it functions with vBulletin here.